Featured Pages Wallach & Blenkiron Darkest Effrika
A Road Less TraveledRudge 1939 250cc Rapid The "250" with the "350" performance
Rudge RapidFongri Motorcycles Tazio Nuvolari's First Racer
Clement were motorcycles produced from 1922 to 1924, by Mr A.
Clement of Regent's Park in London.
They are not related to the Clement-Garrard
Of Belgian design, it was originally manufactured in Germany.
1922 By the middle of that year, the Clement was brought to the
British market. It was a miniature with open frame and four-stroke ohv
engine fitted in front of the frame downtube and the pedalling bracket.
Because the weight was carried low, the Clement was workmanlike
and stable. The tiny engine was 63cc maximum, and was in-unit with a reduction
drive gear of eight to one. It had an outside flywheel and carried its
magneto upturned under the rear of the unit. It had chain transmission
and a special butterfly-choke carburettor.
1923 A sports model was listed and a miniature was entered for its class
in the Grand Prix de l'Auto, at the Parc de Princes, Paris.
1924 During that year there was a dispute over the British manufacture
of the design, when there was an announcement that it would be built by
Jennen Engineering of High Holborn, London, under the name of Wren.
contested the claim and managed to retain his interest, so the Clement
continued under that name. Retailing went to James Grose, a large retail
outfit on Euston Road, London, and the firm began to trade as The Clement
Motor Company. Different options were introduced and there was talk
of increased engine capacity, but the marque quietly disappeared.