John and Raymond Dennis produced a motorcycle in 1898, in Guildford, Surrey.
The Dennis company, one of only a handful not based in Midlands, built a few tricycles in the De Dion mould. They had a single front wheel, twin rear wheels, and a rear axle driven directly from the engine which went behind the rider.
The engine was supplied by De Dion-Bouton, and the machine had brakes on each rear wheel - an unusual feature at the time - and a central band brake. The brakes were controlled by handlebar fittings on the left and right via rods and cranks.
The Dennis "Speed King" was one of the most advanced of the day. A magnificent example is on display at the National Motorcycle Museum, Birmingham.
During the 1970s, a double-decker 'the Dominator' was made.
A single-decker version of 'the Dominator' followed.
South Yorkshire Transport took the Dominator as its standard bus.
1980 A purpose-built single-decker chassis was developed - the Falcon.
By the 1990s the model of the Dominator could not keep up with Leyland, Volvo, and Olympian.
1996 London and Country bought the last Dominators from Dennis.
1997 Dennis introduced the Trident, their first low floor double-decker, the three axle for export only.
If you have further information or a query related to this page, please contact us