This was an American machine built under licence during an early scooter boom that occurred after the end of the First World War. It was made by Imperial Motor Industries of London, using a 162cc four-stroke engine fitted to the left of the front wheel. It had a platflorm frame with no seat. A second version, also with a platform, used an electric motor instead of the four-stroke, and the batteries were carried on the platform. Few were sold and its life was short.
The Autoped "Wonder of the World" was copied by Krupp of Germany, CAS in Czechoslovakia and others.(1)
1920. The Imperial Motor Industries, Ltd., 11, Denmark Street, London, W., have an interesting and representative display of general accessories. These comprise Tangye jacks, specially suited for heavy vehicles by reason of their durable construction, lamps in wide variety including electric types, horns, tool kits, tyre pumps, etc. [http://archive.commercialmotor.com/article/19th-october-1920/25/imperial-motor-industriesltd]
1. "Scooters" published by MotorBooks International
2. There was another similarly named company operating from 1903 to 1905 at Brixton Hill on the opposite side of the Thames, Imperial Motor Co.
Source: Graces Guide
Triumph, BMW, & Kawasaki Sales Spares & Repairs.
Established for over 40 years and run by expert motorcyclists.
Fully authorised workshop.