1904 The motorcycle now had a mechanically-operated inlet-valve, braced forks and the option of a free-engine clutch and chain drive. The catalogue for that year also included two trailers which were suitable for use with bicycles or motorcycles. The Star Trailer had a wicker body and was fitted with a comfortable cushion. It had 26-inch plated wheels which were fitted with Warwick or Clipper tyres. The trailer sold for £9. The Star Tradesman's Carrier had a seasoned wood body that was fitted with a lockable hinged zinc top. It had 26-inch enamelled wheels and cushion tyres. The basic trailer sold for £9 and was available with fitted shelves for a small extra charge.
1905 The motorcycles listed were the 3hp and 3.5hp solos, plus a 4hp water-cooled model available as a solo or as a tricar with two speeds.
1905 Four grades of Star Bicycles were offered for the 1905 season. Strong competition developed from German and American bicycle imports from new British motorcycle and car producers.
The company then left the motorcycle business due to inadequate demands and concentrated on cars, presumably (see adverts) as the Star Engineering Co
1905 Star Cycle Co introduced the Starling, 6 hp car but this was soon replaced by an 8 hp model
Introduced the two-cylinder Stuart car which remained in production for three years
1906 J. W. Horsfield was Managing Director and his son was Superintendent. 
1906 Star began to fit their own two-speed hubs to bicycles, produced by the Stuart Hub Co subsidiary. They were initially used on the model "A" and model "B" two speed lady's and gent's machines.
1906 In order to reduce losses the decision was taken to introduce the cheap "Starling" car that would sell through cycle agents for £110. This was the first year that the shareholders received no dividend.
1907 The Stuart hub was replaced by Stanley Two Speed and Three Speed Hubs.
1909 Introduced the 10 hp two-cylinder Royal Starling
1909 The Star Engineering Co, the manufacturer of Star cars, took over its previous parent company, the Star Cycle Co and became a limited company; production of Starlings and Stuarts ceased. The designs and production were taken over by the newly formed Briton Motor Co run by Edward Lisle, Junior.
1912 Star Engineering re-entered the motorcycle business.
1912 Late in the year the company returned to two-wheeled power and exhibited a 4.25 hp single of distinctive design. The engine had a detachable cylinder head and an aluminium cover to enclose the valve gear. The firm made its own multi-jet carburettor and the magneto was positioned behind the cylinder. It had many other refinements, plus a drum brake, sprung foot-boards and Saxon front forks.
1913 A similar machine appeared, fitted with a 6 hp JAP V-twin engine. Both models were sturdy and well made, but somewhat weighty. A sidecar was also offered.
1914 Director lists them as Star Engineering Co., Frederick Street, Wolverhampton and as motor cycle manufacturers. 
1914 The 4.5hp model had a single cylinder Star engine with a Star three-speed gearbox, clutch and carburettor. The carburettor was soon replaced with an Amac or Senspray model. The transmission was via a [[ Renold chain and a leather to metal clutch. There was a Bosch magneto and a kick starter. The petrol tank held two gallons of petrol and two quarts of oil. There was a pannier tool-bag which contained a complete set of tools. The machine was finished in black enamel and suitably lined. It sold for 65 guineas. The 6hp machine was fitted with a twin cylinder JAP engine with 76mm bore and 85mm stroke, giving a capacity of 770cc. It had mechanically operated side valves and a counter-shaft type three-speed gearbox. There was a Bosch magneto and an Amac or Senspray carburettor. The machine had a kick starter and the transmission was via a Renold chain, in a chain case and a leather to metal cone-type clutch. The petrol tank held two gallons of petrol and two quarts of oil. The machine was fitted with 26-inch Dunlop tyres and had a pannier tool-bag which came complete with a full set of tools. It was finished in lined black enamel and sold for 75 guineas. The handlebars had special dropped grips with flats for taking the control gear via four concealed cables. A sidecar model was also built, but very few of these motorcycles were made.
1914 Sales were slow, so after the outbreak of war, the company dropped motorcycles in favour of cars, coaches, trucks and a couple of aeroplanes.
1915 Company closed. Mr. Harry Jones, who had been a foreman frame-builder at Star, took over the cycle designs and started to produce his own bicycles at works in Church Lane under the name of Mount Cycles.
Sources: Graces Guide
If you have further information or a query related to this page, please contact us>