Kuhn motorcycles were produced from 1968 to 1972 by Gus Kuhn of Stockwell, London.
Prior to 1968, Gus Kuhn had raced at Brooklands and on cinders, and had been more involved with cars than motorcycles. In that year the emphasis shifted when the firm began to produce customized Norton models. They used the Commando for production machine events and a pair of Seeley singles for the open race classes.
These were joined by the Gus Kuhn Norton, a cafe racer, available from the custom list, in a variety of specifications. Later they moved away from Norton and utilised BMW flat twins.
Kuhn's father, Gus E Kuhn, was a successfull motorcycle racer whose career began before the Great War, during which he was with the RNAS (later named the RAF). Postwar he rode the TT before taking up dirt track riding in 1927, winning his first race that same year on a 350cc Velocette when everyone else was on a 500. When speedway arrived a year or so later, he was in like Flynn. He established Gus Kuhn Motors in 1932, displaying both cars and motorcycles in his London showroom, and continued competition riding until 1939 when Mr Hitler put an end to festivities.
Source: Graces Guide
Further reading guskuhn.net
If you have further information or a query related to this page, please contact us