British

Morrison Motorcycles

Morrison produced a motorcycle in 1913, in Dover Street, Leicester.

The company built sidecars and announced a motorcycle fitted with a 6hp JAP V-twin engine. It was probably designed for sidecar use, but it is unikely that many were sold and the name soon disappeared.

Alfred Ernest Morrison established the firm in the 1890s and produced bicycles, motorcycles, and forecars for tricycles. He patented and manufactured an independently sprung wheel which was fitted to motorcycle sidecars. By the early 20th century the company was named AE Morrison & Co, and they started to build motorcycles named "Tiger".

After WWI Morrison began producing stationary engines, and moved to larger premises in Grace Road, Leicester in 1921–22. In the late 1920s they began building cinema sound equipment when talking pictures were introduced. In the 1930s the firm, now named Morrison Electric, built electric vehicles including milk floats and bread vans which were exported to many different countries. Morrison Electric became the largest supplier of this type of vehicle in the world.

Sources: Graces Guide; en.wikipedia.org; quornmuseum.com.

If you have further information or a query related to this page, please contact us.