Peters motorcycles were produced from 1920 to 1925 by J. A. Peters (t/a Peter Motors), an aircraft designer. The company had an address at Ramsey, Isle of Man, but manufacture took place on the mainland.
1921 The motorcycle was introduced at the Olympia show and differed from most other lightweights of the period as it had a Peters engine in place of the usual bought-in one, and was fitted with rear suspension. The engine started out at 296cc but soon increased to 346cc, with the cylinder inclined forward and a large flywheel incorporating a variable-gear pulley for the belt drive. The spine frame had a large welded sheet-steel assembly that included petrol and oil tanks and steering head.
Little more was heard of Peters for a few years and production was very small.
1924 Production was taken over by C. L. Brock and Co of Teddingtonn, Middlesex, and a version with a three-speed Burman gearbox and chain-cum-belt drive appeared.
1925 All-chain drive was an option on all models and a new one was launched. This had a 348cc sv Blackburne engine coupled to a three-speed Jardine gearbox. Nothing further came of Peters and they disappeared from sight.
Olympia Show Report, November 1921
Certainly most original in appearance and design, the Peters two-stroke will assuredly attract a fair quota of spectators. It is sprung front and rear on simple principles, the actual springs being entirely concealed (the front coil m the steering head). The bulbous tank forms the main member of the frame, and the 347 c.c. engine acts as a down tube. An exhaust pressure system of lubrication, already described in The Motor Cycle, is incorporated, and the transmission is by belt over variable pulleys. Lighting is electric, current being supplied by a flywheel magneto.
Sources: Graces Guide
If you have further information or a query related to this page, please contact us