Top Mountain Motorcycle Museum
Triumph, BMW, & Kawasaki Sales Spares & Repairs.
Established for over 40 years and run by expert motorcyclists.
Fully authorised workshop.
Maschinenfabrik Berner & Co, Ludwig-Feuerbach-Strasse 75/77, Nuremberg, 1925 - 1933
Later at Innere Laufer Gasse 20
Advertising used the term "Mammutwerke Nürnberg"
Early models used 200cc Baumi two-stroke engines, followed by engines of their own produced in capacities from 250c to 350cc, both two-stroke and four-stroke.
Towards the end of the 1920s they used engines from Blackburne, JAP and Villiers, along with 600cc MAG V-twins. As the depression bit they switched to smaller engines including those from Moser.
In the latter half of 1928 at the Leipzig motor show Berner & Co. introduced a range of dreiraders (transport three-wheelers) powered by their air-cooled engines, the lightest being for the tax-free class with a 198cc four-stroke accepting a 200kg load. Others had 250cc, 349cc and 500cc engines, and the largest had a 600cc two-stroke twin of their own manufacture giving it a 1/2 tonne payload. Production of all vehicles ceased in 1933, it is believed.
They also marketed a preßstahl modell (pressed steel model) with a JAP engine which was a Coventry Eagle re-badged with a Mammut emblem.
An example of the Nürnberg Mammut is displayed at the Museum Industriekultur in Nürnberg
If you have a query or information about these German motorcycles please contact us