Italian Motorcycles

Today in Motorcycle History

Di Pietro Auxiliary Bicycle Engines

A Brief History of the Marque

Manufactured 1923-1926

Pio Di Pietro of Spoleto, a skilled engineer, moved to Pesaro in November 1922 and established the "Costruzioni Meccaniche di Precisione" company in 1923 offices at via Manzoni 78 and a workshop in via Montegranaro n° 2, with six employees.

That year they offered an 83cc two-stroke auxilliary bicycle engine fired by a Bosch magneto and fed by a Zenith carburettor. It weighed 11kg and had chain drive.

The registered office is in via Manzoni 78, the workshop in via Montegranaro n ° 2, in an old shed previously used as a warehouse for agricultural equipment, and the workers are six. In the same year, the company puts on sale an auxiliary engine, to be applied inside the frame of a bicycle, of 83 cc two-stroke, bore (mm 55) and stroke (mm 52), maximum power speed 4000 rpm. , two-speed gearbox, Bosch magnet, Zenith carburetor, 10-15% mixture lubrication, weight 11 kg and chain final drive.

The Italian distributor was Oscar Amrein, via Solferino 24 Milan.

For 1924 the capacity was increased to 130cc, the maximum legally allowed. Shortly thereafter a new 130cc engine appeared with a steel barrel and alloy head, alloy piston, forged steel connecting rod and one-piece crankshaft, two-speed gearbox and belt drive.

Two models were presented at the Milan Fair in 1925 - the 130cc tourer and a 123cc sport. These were joined in 1926 by a 192cc two-stroke engine for light motorcycles.

Di Pietro ceased manufacture in July 1926.

Sources: MC Storico Conti, Benelli Museum et al

If you have a query of information about Di Pietro please contact us