Triumph, BMW, & Kawasaki Sales Spares & Repairs.
Established for over 40 years and run by expert motorcyclists.
Fully authorised workshop.
A Brief History of the Italian Marque
Manufactured by the brothers Guglielmo e Stefano Marzocchi
Via A. Zannoni 64 Bologna
Built from about 1949 to 1953 the Grillo used a 49.9cc twostroke fitted to a chassis with front and rear suspension and integral fuel tank. Aspects of this machine were patented in 1950. There was also a more conventional moped version at a considerably lower price.
Several hundred of these were produced before the production rights were sold to NSV (Nanni Società Velomotori).(1)
The Marzocchi brothers had previously worked with SSR Ducati which had suffered a series of woes resulting in the loss of many staff and led to the closure of the Borgo Panigale factory in 1949.
The Ducati brothers, who had left the Ducati company during this period, approached Marzocchi with a project - they requested a light motorcycle with an engine of about 105cc and full suspension including telescopic forks. Ten of these were built and were displayed at the Milan Motor Salon of 1949 as the Idroflex.
N.B. 1. The NSV section gives a slightly different account.
If you have a query or information about these Italian motorcycles, please contact us