After completion of his apprenticeship he became designer to M. Clement-Bayard, of Paris, and on his return to this country was appointed senior draughtsman with Daimler. He then returned to H. W. Ward and Co. where he was responsible for many improvements in automatic machines. Whilst with this firm he was also responsible for valuable work in connexion with armament production, being prevented from serving in the Forces owing to the results of an accident at football.
After the war he held positions with Martinsyde and Armstrong Siddeley and during this period he was largely responsible for the design of a successful motor cycle. He also scored successes in driving in open competitions for both cars and motor cycles.
For several years prior to his death he held the position of Technical Representative in the South of England for Hardy Spicer and Co. He died on 21st April, 1930, at the age of 43.
He was elected a Graduate of the Institution of Automobile Engineers in 1907, was transferred to Associate Member in 1910 and to Member in 1928.