French

Bruneau Motocyclettes & Tricars

A Brief History of the Marque

Paul Bruneau & Cie was established in 1899.[1]

12 rue Victor Hugo, Tours

1902. Motorcycle had the engine mounted above the pedal crank, driving the rear wheel by belt.

1903. The machine had the engine mounted low in the frame ahead of the pedal crank, and ran two chains - one for the pedals, the other for the engine. Watercooled cylinder head. The tank has several compartments for petrol, oil, coolant and battery. Caliper brakes front and rear.

1904 saw the introduction of a shaft drive machine which was a good deal more expensive than its chain-drive equivalents. The catalogue for that year included a tricar.

Their Type MH of c1905 had a liquid-cooled cylinder head, two radiators, and a fully enclosed, sealed chaincase which eliminated the need for pedal crank chain.

A machine with an enormous Buchet Rigal engine was capable of 125 km/h, and was exceedingly dangerous.

Notes.
1. Has been referred to as Georges Paul Bruneau - this may be an error.
2. Herdtle and Bruneau of Paris appear unrelated.

Sources:
1. François-Marie Dumas
2. Bourdache mentions this marque often - pp111, 117, 123, 133, 143, 146, 151, 157, 159, 160, 172, 174, 178, 205, 209, 229, 299, 320, 322, 325.
3. https://lestricars.es.tl/Bruneau-%26-Cie-Tours.htm has considerable information.