A Brief History of the Marque
Louis Janoir, born 1883, a pioneer aviator who obtained his pilot's licence in 1911, began the Janoir Aviation company in 1916 at Saint-Ouen, and during the war he built Spad fighter planes.
In 1920 he built the Janoir Type A motorcycle which was well ahead of its time in many respects. Housed in a pressed-steel chassis was a horizontally opposed 965cc twin mounted longitudinally. This engine had detachable cylinder heads and alloy barrels with steel sleeves. It had rear suspension, and drum brakes front and rear.
Only one motorcycle is known to exist and was formerly part of the Serge Pozzoli collection.
Source: Guélon Collection Sale Catalogue.
A large horizontally-opposed twin (85 X 85 mm.) forms the power plant of this very unorthodox vehicle. A disc clutch transmits the power to a three-speed gear box bolted to the frame just below the saddle (or front saddle, since the machine is designed for tandem use if desired). Final transmission is by roller chain, a sprocket for the speedometer drive being held in engagement with the driving side. Two internal expanding brakes are fitted one on either side of the rear wheel, and the wheels are quickly detachable and fitted with 750 x 85 mm. tyres. A very stoutly constructed tubular frame is suspended in front by powerful spring forks and at the rear by cantilever springs. Large detachable boxes for luggage are fitted on either side of the rear wheel, and very complete leg shields protect the rider from mud. Both crank and gear shafts are mounted on ball bearings, and the lubrication is effected under pressure by a gear pump.
The Motor Cycle, October 1919