A Brief History of the Marque
Maschinenfabrik Gränichen AG of Gränichen
Between 1923 and 1939 Zehnder established a reputation for reliability and over the years built commuter-style motorcycles with horizontal single-cylinder two-stroke engines of 110cc, 150cc and 220cc along with a number of higher performance sports and racing machines.
Their first machines were designed by Friedrich Gockerell and produced by Zehnder under licence. Nicknamed the Zehnderli, the 110cc twostroke was economical and reliable, and responded well to tuning for sports work. In 1925 a Lady's version appeared, and they went to chain drive in 1927, with optional 3-speed gearbox and lighting.
Competition successes included class wins in the 1926 and 1927 Paris-Nice races, with Ernst Zehnder at the helm. During this time they were absorbed by Standard, in 1928. Standard ceased production in Germany in 1938 and moved to Switzerland where they used the Zehnder factory to build motorcycles, production continuing there into the 1950s.
If you have a query or information about these Swiss machines please contact us