This page lists brands for which we currently have only an historical precis.
For a more information see the List of Swiss Motorcycles.
Manufactured by Peter Maskus, Technopark Lucerne
Having previously worked with Mercedes-Benz, Porsche and Toyota, Maskus established his company in 2004 and began testing the Acabion GTBO in 2006. Developing some 750 bhp, it has a claimed top speed approaching 500 km/h. It is also claimed to achieve fuel efficiency of up to 42 km per litre.
Sources: swissinfo.ch, et al
Designed by Charles Auf der Maur and developed over a period of five years, it had its debut at the 1983 French Grand Prix, ridden by Andreas Hofmann. Powered by a flat-four two-stroke engine aligned fore-and-aft, in Douglas fashion, power was transmitted through a six-speed Yamaha-based gearbox via chain to the rear wheel.
The wheels were 16" front and rear in order to keep the C of G as low as possible. The wheel size proved problematical as suitable tyres were scarce - though of course they became commonplace just a few years hence.
The ADM proved an expensive exercise and only the one was built. Auf der Maur went on to build engines for sidecar racing.
Source: François-Marie Dumas
Manufactured by Alpa-Werke AG, Sirnach.
Alpa mopeds included the Bobby of 1976 along with Turbo, Enduro, Mini, Cross, Chopper and M1.
They also produced mopeds under the Staco brand. An example of the Staco has a Sachs 50cc engine, a drum front brake and no suspension front or rear.
Sources: mop-ed.se Sweden, mofaclub-oberwallis.ch
Aregger Mechanik, Lorensäge, Emmenbrücke
1986- Sidecar construction
Manufactured in the 1960s by Adolf Bühler of Willisau.
A Sachs-powered moped was offered in 1967
A. Berlier built 500cc motorcycles in Geneva, 1917
In 1896 Karl Bleidorn of Maschinenfabrik Arbon 1896 first built Switzerland's first motorcycle.
Buratti, Ponte & Roch of Geneva built motorcycles from 1929 to 1932
Edouard Butikofer displayed a "motocycle" (motor bicycle) on the Peugeot stand at the Paris Salon of 1898. The Butikofer is discussed in "The Horseless Age" of April 1896, and in a short article in The Automobile Magazine of December 1899
In 1906 he created a flat-twin engine which he mounted in a tricycle.
These were 48cc single speed horizontal two-stroke bicycle attachment engines, displayed at the Salon de Paris in 1950. They were single-speed and drove the rear wheel by roller. Perrenoud of Paris built them under licence to Comodo in the mid 1950s.
Sources: mo-ped.se, VELO Moteurs No 9 Octobre 1950 (Belgium).
Schild & Co AG of Madretsch, Biel, 1904 - 1913
Built motorcycles using Zedel and Fafnir engines, and also built bicyclettes.
Friedrich Lochner Motorradbau, Sumiswald, Bern 1924 - 1926
Constructed motorcycles powered by 246cc two-stroke engines of their own manufacture.
Doranie & Cie., Geneva, built motorcycles from 1906.
Henri and Armand Dufaux of Geneva built their first powered bicycle in 1895, forming the company H&A Dufaux & Co in 1899. Their primary passion was aviation, and they sold motorcycles to finance this, forming the Motosacoche company in 1903.
Duss Evolution GmbH
Entlebuch, near Lucerne.
Developed between 2004 and 2007, the Duss 1000cc 90º V-twin supermotard was in style somewhat like the KTM. It was claimed to produce 120 hp weighed only 145 kilos, and had componentry by Öhlins, Wilbers and Marchesini. It does not appear to have reached production.
More recently the firm has designed a straight six motorcycle engine.
Furrer & Fröhlicher of Solothurn in 1904 built a 3hp single-cylinder motorcycle
Further details have proved elusive.
Egg & Egli 1893-1899
Giesserei Weber of Uster constructed motorcycles powered by 450cc engines of their own manufacture.
Grüter & Gut Motorradtechnik GmbH, Ballwil.
From 1994 they built highly distinctive motorcycles and quads.
1896 Karl Bleidorn, Maschinenfabrik Arbon, built the first Swiss motorcycle.
Built in Combs-la-Ville Paris, an "Elektromobile". It is listed as a Swiss firm.
G.A. Saurer & Cie., Arbon built a motorcycle with a Z-L engine
Motorcycles built in 1928 by Dr. Antonio Vedova using 170cc Praillet & Antoine engines. The firm then produced Universal motorcycles.
Over the years there were several companies which used the Helvetia name.
A steam-powered tricycle built by Fritz Henriod, Biel 1896-1903
E. Hegetschwiler of Ottenbach built sidecar combinations using BMW engines and components from 1964.
Manufactured by Horlacher AG, Switzerland
The firm has built a variety of electric vehicles including a 3-wheeler, the Horlacher GL88 "Egg" of 1988. The Egg could achieve 80 km/h, with a range of 100km.
Horlacher vehicles have won many races and rallies including the Tour-de-Sol and have been very successful in their class.
Sources: 3-wheelers.com, Wikipedia, et al
Imholz Fahrradwerke AG, St. Gallen 1924-1927
Built motorcycles using Moser two-stroke and four-stroke engines.
Jean Jenny of Chàtelaine, Geneva, built a two-stroke motorcycle in 1926
Walther Schmid of Geneva built a motorcycle with rear suspension in 1906
Louis Ischy of Payerne built motorcycles beginning in 1905
Alfred Morgenegg of Geneva built a 750cc motorcycle in 1917
Bonnet & Jaquard of Romainmötier built several motorcycles 1904-1906
AG J. Zehnder & Söhne of Gränichen built a 750cc motorcycle in 1939. That same year, Condor built a sidecar machine named Landi, and Motoscoche released a 500cc single-cylinder Landi model.
Louis Christen of LCR Engineering, Rheineck, built racing motorcycles and sidecars (Motorrad-Renndreiräder) from 1976. In co-operation with Krauser they built 80cc racers and the famed Domani sports sidecar combination. The Zundapp LCR was another 80cc machine.
LCR sidecars have won 18 World Championships and 6 World Cups, and are one of the most famous racing sidecars ever produced.
See also Krauser
Motosport AG of Moutier built an unusual tricar with a 495cc V-twin MAG engine from 1923 to 1925.
Josef Popart of Erlen built lightweights 1955-1960.
An advertisement gives the company name as Industrie Kontor Zurich AG. Talacker 35, Zurich.
1901-1905, built motorcycles with 215cc engines. The firm was the forerunner of Motosacoche.
Manufactured small numbers of scooters around 1953 to 1955 powered by JLO 125cc engines. The scooters bore an unmistakeable resemblance to the Lambretta LC.
Built in Geneva by Pierre Dunant, 1903
Séchehaye & Cie of Geneva produced Zedel-powered machines from 1910 for a short period.
Frizt Haag & co, Geneva. Built 1904-1915 using Zedel, Moser and other engines.
Sources: Wikipedia, La Moto Francaise, Tragatsch p217
Müller-Vogel & Cie of St. Aubin built high-performance engines for cars and motorcycles. They produced the 737cc V-Twin used in the aptly named Quick of 1917.
Sources: morger.net, moto-collection.org
Manufactured by Nomo AG., Bern.
Built mopeds powered by 50cc 2-speed Sachs engines. Models included Nomo Luxe with 21" wheels and Nomo Super de Luxe with 23" wheels, both restricted to 30 km/h.
Source: mop-ed.se Sweden
Built by Oris-Velofabrik of Liestal in 1903 using a Zedel engine.
Gilbert Piot built performance engines and specialised in carbon fibre components in the 1990s.
Lightweights built by Amsler & Co. AG of Feuerthalen from 1948
Manufactured by Quantya SA, Lugarno
Founded in 2005 by Claudio Dick, the company produces of electric sports motorcycles.
The Quantya EVO1 Track is for motocross, and their road machine is the Quantya EVO1 Strada.
Werner Maltry built high-performance 490cc twins for racing purposes during the early 1960s.
Motorcycles built by Maschinenfabrik Gränichen AG (MAFAG) of Gränichen 1932~1950
Moped manufactured by Rico Fahrradwerke, Wallisellen
Paul Fries ran a bicycle factory which had operated as early as 1953, and at some stage produced mopeds. The firm was disolved in 2006.
The name Hans-Rudolf Fries is also mentioned.
Source: mo-ped.se, et al.
Solec AG of Bern began building electric motorcycles in 1992
Known also as R.B., during the 1920s the Geneva firm built 250cc four-stroke motorcycles and later oil-cooled OHC 500s.
Sources: morger.net, et al.
Helvetia-Fahrradfabrik of Basel built motorcycles 1900-1912
One of two Swiss marques of this name, this one was built by Ruegg & Co of Uster, Zürich from 1901 - 1905 using a 2¾ hp Zedel engine.
The other Schwalbe was built in Aalen, and was also fitted with Zedel engines.
Built in Geneva by Carl Schmid in 1923 as a project to display his comprehension of engineering and aerodynamic design, the futuristic machine featured a monocoque chassis and hydraulic brakes. Powered by a 175cc OHV engine it was believed to be capable of 70 kph.
Some fifty years later, many of his concepts were becoming commonplace.
Georg and Walter Senn built custom Harley-Davidsons in the 1970s and 80s. It was a large firm for a custom builder, having over 40 employees.
SA de Construction Mécanique of Geneva built motorcycles with engines from external suppliers from 1904.
Erich Vaugnat built sidecar combinations for road-racing.
Built by Fritz Moser who had previously worked with Zedel. He had established a company building engines under his own name in 1906, but during WWI changed the name of the firm and the brand name to S.T.A.S. (St. Aubin Schweitz) as he felt the German-sounding name would affect sales. After the war the name reverted to Moser.
The Strubi was a motorcycle with a fully enclosed cabin and a door. It had a JLO 250cc two-stroke twin located at the front of the cabin directly below the steering column, between the rider's knees. The steering was conventional. Nothing else was.
The Burgdorf has been building engines for automobiles and motorcycles since 1987
Swiss Boy 1951
P. Taddeoli of Geneva built motorcycles between 1901 and 1906
Manufactured by Tebag AG., Zürich
A 1963 moped was fitted with a Flandria engine.
Manufactured by Maschinenfabrik Gränichen AG
Using engines from Puch and Sachs, in the 1960s the Swiss firm produced mopeds named Tigra Caravelle Pionier*, Mustang S30 E, S40 R and S40 RA.
The MAFAG company had considerable experience in the motorcycle industry, having built both Zehnder and Standard machines since the early 1930s. They bought the Tigra concern from Eric Griesshaber and Eduard Piguet, who had established it as a bicycle manufacturer in the late 1940s. MAFAG entered bankruptcy in the mid-1980s and sold the Tigra name to another Swiss bicycle firm.
Sources: mop-ed.se, et al
N.B. Pionier is the correct spelling.
Desplands & Cie. of Lausanne built a number of different of motorcycles from 1903
Rewaco Fahrzeugbau AG of Oberentfelden built three-wheelers from 1989
Motorcycles built by E. Vaucher of Geneva from 1910
The Vélosolex Type 330 was built entirely in Switzerland, in the famed Hispano-Suisse factory, from 1952
See also Velosolex
Mowag Fahrzeugbau of Kreuzlingen produced 50cc scooters in 1958
Walco of Biel built mopeds with Sachs engines around 1967. A forum post mentions a "Walco 2100 with a manual Sachs 504 engine". The firm also produced bicycles, and these may have been supplied to Schwinn in the USA.
Zürcher, Lüthi & Cie of Saint-Aubin-Sauges built motorcycle engines between 1897 and 1908. See Zurcher for more information.
If you have a query or information about these classic Swiss machines please please contact us