Coulson B were motorcycles produced from 1919 to 1923 by F. Aslett Coulson, the ex-Managing Director of Wooler Engineering Co.
London Motors listed the Coulson B and HB motorcycles
The 2 3/4 h.p. Coulson, a newcomer into the motor cycle industry. It is fitted with a spring frame and Blackburne engine.
WE recently published a few preliminary details concerning the 2 3/4 h.p. Coulson-B motor bicycle. The machine has now reached an advanced stage of construction, and in about three weeks' time the manufacturers, the Aeroparts Manufacturing Company, Albion Works, Albion Street, King's Cross, London, N.l, hope to be in a position to make deliveries. .
The machine has a simple spring suspension. The frame is sturdily constructed of 1 1/4in. tubing. On the under side of each chain stay there is a leaf spring, the rear end of which is attached by means of a shackle to a' link carried at the end of the back forks.
Both front and rear wheel spindles are withdrawable, so that either wheel may be instantly detached tor the purpose of tyre repairing.
As previously mentioned, the mud-guards are wide and generously valanced, the rear guard being bin. across. Between one and threequarters and two gallons of petrol and a quart of lubricating oil can be carried in the tank, which is fitted with filler caps of large size at the forward end. The tank is attached to the secondary frame tube by means of special brackets, the method of attachment being invisible on casual inspection.
The engine is the 2 3/4 h.p. Blackburne, which is a small replica of the well-known 3 1/2 h.p. engine of this make, and, like the latter, is provided with an outside flywheel. The standard Blackburne features are retained, such as the detachable head, solid crankshaft, and split big end bearing. The bore and stroke of this engine are 71 mm. and 88 mm. respectively (348 c.c). The engine equipment includes the latest type Brown and Barlow pilot jet carburetter, M-L magneto, and a streamline silencer.
The stand is fitted just behind the bottom bracket on which the countershaft Albion two-speed gear box is suspended. The handle-bars are of the semi-T.T. pattern, and are provided with rubber grips and inverted levers .for the front brake and exhaust lifter. The forks are Druid stronger type Mark II., and cast aluminium footboards with a rubber rest for the heels are provided. The total weight of the machine is estimated at between 150 and 160 lb.
The Motor Cycle February 20th, 1919.
Sources: Graces Guide
If you have further information or a query related to this page, please contact us
Triumph, BMW, & Kawasaki Sales Spares & Repairs.
Established for over 40 years and run by expert motorcyclists.
Fully authorised workshop.