The machine was first exhibited at the Stanley show late in 1908 and was a 1¾ hp lightweight. The 143cc two-stroke engine had drip-feed oil lubrication and drove the rear wheel by belt. It was available in both ladies' and gents' models.
No. 313 Gilbey Halt.
The Elgin motor bicycle is a lightweight model, weighing unladen about 60 lbs. It is made in two patterns, for ladies and gentlemen, the first model being battery ignited and the other provided with a Ruthardt magneto machine, chain driven. The engine is of the two-stroke variety, with a bore of 45 mm. and a stroke of 90 mm. The gas is induced through an automatic inlet valve at the base of the cylinder, compressed in the crank chamber, and driven up to the combustion head from ports in the cylinder walls. A baffle plate on the top of the piston deflects the incoming gas, and prevents it mixing with the exhaust gases. The crankshaft has ball bearings.
The transmission is by an ordinary ... leather V belt without jockey pulley. There is a petrol tank capacity of 100 miles. The oil compartment communicates by means of a pipe and tap with the cylinder, the feed being regulated by the rider, who has under his control a small tap under the tank. In the case of the battery ignited machine the speed is controlled by means of a combined compression release valve and advance spark to contact breaker. The magneto ignited machine has the compression release valve only. Two brakes are fitted - a rim brake on the front wheel, and a back-pedalling coaster rim brake on the rear wheel.
A complete engine set is also sold for fitting to roadster pedal bicycles.
If you have further information or a query related to this page, please contact us