Featured Pages Matchless Flat Twin 1916 An Outstanding Design by Harry Collier
Matchless 732cc HO TwinClement Ader The Stuff of Legend
Pioneer in Telephony, Aviation and Motorcycling
Moteurs AderGuzzi's Grandpa A shaft-drive transverse V-twin from 1904, another deft touch from Clement Ader.
Leonard were motorcycles produced by J. J. Leonard at his works in Long Acre, London, from 1903 to 1904.
1903 The machines used Minerva, MMC or Fafnir engines, fitted into a conventional loop frame. They had braced forks and belt drive.
1904 The engine became the 3½ hp MMC, but a 2¾ hp was also listed. That year the make changed its name to L and C, the initials of Lurquin and Coudert, with whom they had a relationship.
The models offered were typically primitive and had 2¾ hp and 3½ hp
Dion and Antoine engines, braced forks and belt drive.
The Leonard marque was short-lived, but the L and C brand re-appeared on the Continental Motor Co. stand at the 1907 Stanley Show.