Leonard were motorcycles produced by J. J. Leonard at his works in Long Acre, London, from 1903 to 1904.
The Leonard marque was short-lived, but the L and C brand re-appeared on the Continental Motor Co. stand at the 1907 Stanley Show.
Mr. J. Leonard, Brockley Road, Brockley, S.E., is exhibiting a well-made motor bicycle manufactured by himself, and known as the Leonard. It is propelled by a 3½ h.p. M.C.C. engine, carried in a cradle in a loop frame, and fed by a Longuemare carburetter of ample size. A spare tank and all point back-pedalling brake are fitted. The N.S. Electric Storage Co., Horton, Kent, are showing on their stand a good accumulator, which possesses several novel properties. Firstly, it will stand, so the company affirm, any amount of jolting and rough treatment; secondly, the plates cannot buckle, nor the paste drop out; thirdly, owing to the porous nature of the litharge and the separators used, should the cell be broken and all the acid escape, sufficient of the electrolyte will be retained to run the machine for a considerable time.
Report on the 1904 Crystal Palace Show
Notes: 1. Litharge is one of the natural mineral forms of lead oxide, PbO.
Graces Guide, The Motor Cycle February 23rd 1904, pp174-176
If you have further information or a query related to this page, please contact us