Launceston and Adelaide
Motorcycles were manufactured by Brandwood and Co., Launceston Tasmania from c1903 to 1905, first by Joseph Brandwood and then by Jakeh Wearne and George S Geard, who built the Sovereign.
The Brandwood machines were constructed using Eadie and BSA parts and fitted with Minerva engines.
BRANDWOOD AND CO.
The leading Tasmanian firm of Brandwood and Co., motor-car, motor cycle, and bicycle manufacturers, of Charles street and Brisbane street, Launceston, had a fine exhibit...
The latest motor cycles are very neat and attractive machines containing engines of 2 and 2¾ horse-power built on B.S.A. and Eadie parts, fitted with Minerva engines, and are simple and very easy of adjustment. The machines when in motion are very silent, and also most easy to work. The exhibits were closely scanned by the public, and both proprietore and assistants were kept busily employed explaining the latest inventions of these excellent machines. The firm were rather disappointed in being unable to have their first Tasmanian-built motor-car ready in time for the show...
Daily Telegraph (Launceston, Tas) Thu 6 Oct 1904
DISSOLUTION OF PARTNERSHIP.
NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN that the partnership heretofore existing between us the undersigned JOSEPH BRANDWOOD, JAEKEH WEARNE and GEORGE SYDENHAM GEARD, carried on by us at Launceston under the firm of "JOSEPH BRANDWOOD AND CO.," was dissolved on the thirty-first day of May last past, by effluxion of time. ...[T]he business will in future be carried on at Launceston aforesaid under the style or firm of "WEARNE AND GEARD"
Dated this 5th day of July, one thousand nine hundred and five...
Daily Telegraph (Launceston, Tas) Thu 6 Jul 1905
Sources: Trove; launcestonfamilyalbum.org.au
Located at 170 Rundle Street, Adelaide, the firm is believed to have built motorcycles.
"By 1903 Joseph and family had moved to Hackney, South Australia, where he continued to build bicycles. The business in Launceston, Joseph Brandwood & Co., was run by Jakeh Wearne and George S Geard until about 1905." (launcestonfamilyalbum.org.au)
Joseph Brandwood was born in Adelaide and moved to Tasmania with his family in the 1880s. There he established a business building ovens and by 1896 he was a cycle engineer. He moved back to Hackney, South Australia in 1903, having sold the Launceston business to Wearne and Geard. He continued to build bicycles in South Australia.
The advertisement below appears numerous times in S.A. newspapers of 1906.
CYCLE AND MOTOR ENGINEER.
Over 30 years' experience in England and Australia
Direct Importer of everything required for the trade
Builder of the BRANDWOOD and VARSITY CYCLES
Agents wanted everywhere. Agents can have their own names on machines.
WHOLESALE AND RETAIL,
170, RUNDLE STREET. ADELAIDE.
The Advertiser (Adelaide, SA) Mon 15 Oct 1906
H.R. Edwards, Cycle Agent of Mount Bryan, advertised "The Brandwood built B.S.A. £15" and the "Varsity" in 1907.
Sources: Saward, Trove NLA, launcestonfamilyalbum.org.au, et al
If you have a query or information about this Australian motorcycle please contact us