Binks of Nottingham were motorcycles produced from 1903 to 1905.
The machines were designed by Charles Binks of Nottingham, who later became famous for carburettors.
1903 The first machine appeared. It had an advanced in-line, four-cylinder engine fitted into a diamond frame, to drive the rear wheel by an enclosed chain. It had strutted front-forks and a bucket seat, mounted on coil springs, for the rider. This was the world's first inline-four motorcycle, a 385cc machine.
1904 A further model was offered. This was similar to its predecessor but with the engine mounted transversely. Both models had a clutch and were reputed to have outputs of up to 6hp. That year the in- line machine was sold as the 5hp Evart-Hall, and two other in-line machines were demonstrated at Coventry.
1905 Production costs were high, so Binks turned his attentions to the design of carburettors.
Later the family moved to 67 Snowdon Road, Eccles. Binks designed the car built by the Roydale Engineering Co
Note: In April, 1913, an advert appeared for carburettors as: 'The most advanced carburettor on the market'. Address is the Phoenix Works at Eccles, Manchester.
If you have further information or a query related to this page, please contact us