Andrew Lawson, a postman of Craigievar, near Alford in Scotland, designed and built a steam tricycle between 1895 and 1897.
Obviously a man of considerable nous, he became a professional photographer and equipped his home with electric lighting using a water wheel to power a generator.
His steam tricycle was constructed with a wooden chassis and spoked wooden wheels, and ran at fairs and parades for many years. He even used it, just the once, for his postal rounds.
Lawson last used the steamer in 1934, and died in 1938. His machine was sold to an Aberdeen resident, before being bought by Lawson's son James. It was partially restored before being passed on to a man of considerable means, Lord Semphill. After his death it was passed on to a car historian in Surry, Maurice Smith, who performed further restoration and registered it for road use. In 1985 Smith sold it to the Grampian Transport Museum.
Sources: Graces Guide; en.wikipedia.org; Grampian Transport Museum.
If you have further information or a query related to this page, please contact us