British

Globe Motorcycles

Clarke, Cluley and Co, Globe Works, Coventry built Globe motorcycles from 1901 to 1905.

Their basic machines were primitive but in 1904 the firm also offered a model with the Trimo forecar or a trailer. Although such fittings were nearing the end of their popularity, the company went ahead. The forecar had a 3½ hp Minerva or Sarolea engine with a water-cooled cylinder head inclined and hung from the downtube. A chain-driven pump circulated the water. A clutch was fitted to the crankshaft and the rear-wheel drive was by belt.


Report from the Stanley Show 1902

Clarke, Cluley and Co, Coventry, show the Globe motor-bicycle, with a trailer attached. The engine of 2.25 h.p. is placed vertically in a loop frame: it has a spray carburetter, large tank, and battery and coil case, two brakes, and generally is on accepted lines. The framework of the trailing car is of ample strength.

Motor Cycling, 26th November 1902

Report from the 1903 Stanley Show

The motor exhibits of Clarke, Cluley and Co, Globe Works, Coventry, will include one of the well-known Globe motor-bicycles, fitted with a vertical 3.5 h.p. Globe engine, Longuemare spray carburetter, double accumulator connected with switch, and large tank giving ample petrol space. Another of these machines, similarly fitted, will also be, shown, to which will in attached a patent Trimo fore-carriage, with wide front axle, patent band brakes on both front wheels, and powerful back brake. It is fitted with a large cane fore-carriage, upholstered in best style. The exhibit will also include a trailer designed with special frame work for use with motorcycles. It is fitted with 2 in. Dunlop Multicycle tyres, and the firm's patent ball socket joint. The firm will be found at the Stanley.

The Motor magazine, 18th November 1903

Sources: Graces Guide, The Motor magazine.