HSM were motorcycles produced from 1913 to 1915, and advertised by Turner, Marr and Co of New Broad Street, London.
Known as the Sociable, the machine was powered by a V-twin engine and fitted with substantial leading-link Chater-Lea forks.
It was an odd contraption, advertised for 95 guineas. It was a cyclecar that was mostly motorcycle and sidecar, but the controls, including the steering wheel, were in the a large wicker sidecar body. This was intended to offer better weather protection all round.
A somewhat different account is given by a Wikipedia derivative:
The company from the London district of New Cross began in 1913 with the production of automobiles. The brand name was HSM . Production ended in 1918.
On offer was an unusual model, which one source calls the Cyclecar . In principle, it was a motorcycle with a two-seater sidecar that was steered from the sidecar. A built-in engine from JAP with 8 HP power was connected via a chain to a three-speed gearbox from Chater-Lea . From there, the engine power was transferred to the individual rear wheel by means of another chain.
In 1918 the designer F. Hellens developed a newer version. Here the entire vehicle had a common chassis. There were plans to sell this model under the Hellenson brand after the First World War.
The Hellenson marque did not eventuate.
S. D. Marr (8 H.S M. double sc.) listed as an entrant for the M.C.C. London-Exeter Run, The Motor Cycle, Dec 1913.
Graces Guide, de.zxc.wiki
If you have further information or a query related to this page, please contact us