Presented at the 1902 Salon, motocyclettes were built by the brothers Guy and Carl de la Chapelle at their workshop in the small village of Ateliers de la Grôsne near Cormatin (between Dijon and Lyon). The company was established in 1900, the year of the first patent obtained by their workshop manager, Alphonse Saclier.
The firm used engines from Minerva, Buchet and Peugeot, and also constructed their own 346cc and 492cc engines 1.
In 1904 Lucien Octave Vandelet began selling the Stimula marque at his Paris store which had been selling Werner motorcycles and De-Dion vehicles since about 1900. He advertised Stimula-Vandelet motorcyclettes and Stimula Tri-cars, the latter possibly built by Vandelet in Paris using the Chapelle brothers motorcycles as the base.
Vandalet brought the Stimula name considerable attention; he was responsible for recruiting racing pilots and preparing the machines for competition.
The association with Vandalet ceased in 1906 when the Chapelle brothers bought his Paris business. That year moved production to a new factory at Puteaux.
In 1907 they formed another company, De la Chapelle in St Chamond 2.
Their motorcycles were fitted with suspension front and rear, "a double suspension". The front forks were leading link in the Trufault style, and at the rear there was a primitive monoshock.
If you have a query or information about these French machines please contact us