Notes on some of the rarer Greek marques
This page lists brands for which we currently have only an historical precis.
For a more complete listing visit the Greek Index.
The company was based in Rentis and produced three-wheel trucks between 1967 and 1972 using Volkswagen engines and drivetrains from Ford of Germany. Bodywork was constructed from fibreglass. Two different models were produced.
Between 1968 and 1975 AK Hellas built commercial three-wheelers using 50cc engines with automotive-style steering.
Beginning in 1968, three-wheeled utility trucks and vans were manufactured by A. Apostolopoulos who had previously worked with S. Konstantinides in Athens building the Alfa-Ros.
S. Konstantinides began building 3-wheeled commercial vehicles using imported German motorcycles shortly after WWII. The Alfa-Ros brand was created in 1966 when he partnered with A. Apostolopoulos, who left two years later to form his own firm named Apollon. Konstantinides then renamed the firm to Ros, which became quite successful.
Babis Vatistas built light three-wheel trucks from 1950 to 1974. The logo had the brand name spelled Vabis.
Based in Patras, from 1967 the small firm manufactured three-wheeled trucks and other products. The commercial carrier vehicles were powered by Volksagen engines and used other VW components. A four-wheel version with the engine at the front was introduced in 1975. The firm ceased vehicle production shortly afterwards.
Sources: dauto.nl, en.wikipedia.org
Built in Herakleion, Crete, these were light three-wheelers powered by small JLO and Sachs engines. They were farm vehicles built from the 1960s until the early 1980s.
Sources: dauto.nl, en.wikipedia.org
In 1962 Manolis Daponte from the island of Kythera developed a microcar shaped rather like a jeep which was powered by a 50cc motorcycle engine. Only the one was built.
Delta (3w) 1968
Manufacturer: D. Apostolopoulos of Liosion St., Athens,
The Dinap 1200 was a three-wheel truck produced in the late 1960s. Powered by a 1200cc air-cooled Volkswagen engine it had a payload of 1000 Kg. It frequently carried more than double this.
N.B. Dinap appears unrelated to D. Apostolopoulos of Appolon.
The Mazda T1500 was a three-wheel utility truck manufactured by Emporiki Autokiniton S.A. under licence to Mazda. The firm, which was established before the war, built numerous vehicles including 4-wheeled light trucks and buses.
Ilias Konstantinides built three-wheeled trucks named Ilion based on a design by Ros. Ilias was related to S. Konstantinides, the founder of Ros.
G. Mantzoukis manufactured small three-wheeled commercial vehicles from 1969 to 1975.
Manufactured in Athens, Marz were three-wheeled trucks with Volkswagen engines. Other parts were also often obtained from Volkswagen.
Manufactured by the Mastraggelis Brothers in Aigaleo, Athens, these were three-wheeled trucks which could be distinguished by the many similar Greek commercial vehicles by their characteristic cab design.
MI Marinos OE of Piraeus built three-wheeled trucks named MIM using VW, Ford and Mercedes-Benz components.
Manufactured in Athens, the Minicar was a small three-wheeled truck powered by a 50cc engine, with a steering wheel and controls similar to a passenger car.
Minotavros built three-wheel utility trucks from the 1960s to the 1980s. The firm is still in business selling a variety of products - see minotavros.gr
Sources: Labros Skartis, et al
Motoemil (3w) 1950s-2024
Manufactured in Patras in the 1960s and '70s by K & P Panagiotopoulos, the Motofino was a three-wheel pickup typical of the breed. The company continued to manufacture trailers and other products into the 1990s.
Built from 1967 to 1971, the MotorCar three-wheelers were tipper trucks powered by Volkswagen and German Ford engines. Legal load was 350 Kg, but they were frequently used to haul up to 2 tonnes.
Moto Nomikos was founded in 1969 and has marketed motorcycles under the Nomik brand, although their main products are imported. The firm currently advertises Nomik 3-wheelers which use a motorcycle chassis, which are understood to have been introduced in 2019. Their web address is motonomikos.gr.
Pan-Car (3w) 1968-1994
Founded in 1957 in Heraklion, Crete, Record A.E.B.E. produced agricultural machinery and three-wheel vehicles combining truck and tractor functions, tractors (1970) and four-wheel trucks (1978). The firm cloaed in 1999.
ROS (3w) 1968-1976
Manufactured by Stephanos A. Mbaltas from 1966 to 1974, the SAM was three-wheeler utility vehicles powered by 1200cc Volkswagen air-cooled flat-fours and German Ford 1300cc engines. These machines were very robust and some were still on the road some 30 years after the company ceased production.
Ioannis Saracakis founded an import company in 1923 that sold cars and car parts. In 1954 the company was became the Saracakis Brothers group and in 1962 began building buses on imported chassis, later using their own chassis and engines from Volvo .
In addition to building complete vehicles (which included light three-wheeler trucks), the company also assembled 4x4's, tractors, motorcycles and construction equipment.
N.B. Only one source mentions motorcycles, and Sarakis advertising from the 1960s and later mentions only Honda motorcycles.
Sources: dauto.nl, hellenicaworld.com, saracakis.gr
STYL KAR (3w) 1959-1980
Based in Crete, Sunnyclist built their first solar powered pedal-assisted tricycles in 2013, and have since added similarly configured 4-wheel cars to their product range.
Youtube video of the Sunnyclist Islander
Built in Patras, the firm produced small three-wheeled trucks with Volkswagen engines.
Manufactured in Athens, the Zamba was a small three-wheeled truck powered by a 50cc engine and fitted with a steering wheel and controls similar to those in a passenger car.
Manufactured small three- and four-wheel trucks in the 1970s and 1980s.