The firm was established by Manuel Barros de Almeida in 1947, with a factory on Rua do Rei Ramiro in Vila Nova de Gaia. Alma built their own engines, with the frames and many other components produced by Alberto Carvalho Araujo (ACA) of Braga. ACA acquired the Alma company in 1952.
The brand name was changed to Motalli, and offices moved to Braga. Manufacture of microcars and motor tricycles commenced.
Alma of Portugal is unrelated to Alma of France.
Sources: Motos de Portugal; motorizadas50.com