British

R. L. Jackson

Jackson were motorcycles produced from 1919 to 1920, initially by R. L. Jackson of Pangbourne, Barkshire, and later in Birmingham, under a different name (see below).

R. L. Jackson had been involved with the motor industry since the end of the late 1800s. After the end of World War I, he realised that there was a wide market for comfortable, two-wheeled machines that could carry two people.

The early scooter boom had been short-lived, but Jackson enjoyed some success with his design. He produced a model with tandem seating on a sprung platform, a duplex tube frame and a 292cc Union two-stroke engine with two-speed gear and sprung forks.

To begin with it was made by his company in Berkshire, but was later developed and improved by A. W. Wall of Birmingham, who sold it under the name of Reynolds Runabout.

A NOVEL TANDEM.

THE Jackson motor cycle is the invention of Mr. R. L. Jackson, who has been associated with the motor industry since 1896, and was one of the pioneers of the light car movement. Intended primarily for short journeys, it has an open frame, carrying the engine amidships inside the duplex tubes in such a position that if the machine falls over the power unit is not damaged.

In the machine shown to us the engine was a 2½ h.p. Union two-stroke, driving directly to the back wheel by means of a belt. In future models, however, a two-speed gear and spring forks will be fitted. The petrol tank is carried in front of the driver. Not the least interesting part of the machine is the method of springing the platform on which the two seat cushions are carried. This is mounted on laminated springs, and it is so constructed that two passengers can comfortably be carried, or, if desired, the after cushion may be removed and a large box carrier fitted.

The major part of the weight is below the centre of the wheels, which should tend to keep the machine steady and to reduce the chances of skidding. At present three-ply wood mudguards are fitted, and another interesting feature is the tyres, which are 550 X 65mm., as fitted to Baby Peugeot cars.

The machine is handled in London by Messrs. Gastons, Ltd., 212-214, Great Portland Street, London, W.l.

The Motor Cycle of April 1st, 1920

Sources: Graces Guide, The Motor Cycle



If you have further information or a query related to this page, please contact us