A Brief History of the Marque
French motorcycle built in Dijon by Philippe Ulbérich from 1926 to 1932.
21 rue de Reims, DIJON (Cote d'Or)
The name of the marque is derived from the character of legend, Roland, whose mighty sword Durandal was a gift from Charlemagne to his greatest warrior.
Around 1000 well finished machines of good performance were built in some 12 different models utilizing modular pressed-steel framework with rigid rear end. The machines employed engines from Chaise, Harrissard, Rudge, Zürcher, and Sturmey-Archer of 250cc to 500cc.
Models included 250, 350 and 500 Chaise, 350 and 500 Rudge Ulster, and 350cc Zurcher. They also built a racing machine using a 348cc OHC Velocette KTT engine which did quite well.
Durandal frames were used by Italian manufacturers Itala and Baudo.
Notes. Production may have ended in 1933, and Yesterdays NL indicates that only 2 or 3 hundred were built, of which 40 survive.
Sources: JLB Creations, Tragatsch p123, yesterdays.nl