According to Tragatsch, the Ivy machines were made in Aston Cross, Birmingham, England 1908 to 1932. However, Gavin Newman gives the dates as 1907-1934. He also mentions that in addition to building some 6000 motorcycles, the firm manufactured its own front suspension, carburettors and sidecars.
H. C. Newman was a successful motorcycle racer, winning many local events and finishing well in the Isle of Man TT races several times. An Ivy racing sidecar broke seven world records at Brooklands in 1913.
The Newman brothers' first machines had Precision, watercooled Green-Precision and JAP proprietary engines. The two-stroke engines had 225cc and 296cc. After 1919 there were also 246cc and 346cc versions with outside flywheels. After an interruption of some years, Ivy returned to motorcycle production with 248cc twostrokes and 293cc JAP engined sv singles.
An H.C. Newman-designed 677cc V-twin was used in the first Martinsyde.
The 1924 models were available with 349cc and 297cc single-cylinder SV engines, Sturmey Archer gearbox, Dunlop 26 x 2 1/2 cord tyres and mechanical oiling (as opposed to a hand pump).
Sources: Tragatsch, Wikipedia, Gavin Newman, Graces.
Ivy Motorcycles: http://www.lathes.co.uk/flint/
Ivy Karryall used Raleigh components.
Sat Jan 29 2011
Thought this may interest on our site. www.realcar.co.uk
If you have a query or information about Ivy Motorcycles please contact us