A Brief History of the Marque
The Walter marque appears in the annals of Czech motorcycle history for almost five decades, the first being built by Josef Walter in Prague around 1900 or 1901.
The company details for the early years are listed as Josef Walter, Výroba motocyklů a automobilů, Smíchov (Bohemia)
Founded as a bicycle manufacturer, motorcycles entered production in 1903, continuing until 1912 when the firm switched to the automobile industry. They also built motor-tricycles using 500cc V-twins with power transmission to the rear wheels by shaft.
According to Tragatsch, motorcycle production resumed in the mid-1920s when, with his sons Jaroslav and Jan, Joseph produced a SV 496cc single. In 1938 Jaroslav designed a 250cc engine first as an ohv and later as an ohc version. This proved very successful and was raced by many great Czech riders including Horak. After the war they continued production until the factory was absorbed by JAWA under the communist regime.
Jaroslav became chief engineer for sports and racing machines at CZ.
A 1909 Walter Model B 1022cc machine is on display at the National Technical Museum, Prague.
A 250cc OHC Horak Walter is in the collection of the Solvang museum, California.
There is no relationship to Walter of Germany.
There is also a Walter sidecar made in Germany; see the page on Sidecars
If you have a query or information about these Czech machines, please contact us
Triumph, BMW, & Kawasaki Sales Spares & Repairs.
Established for over 40 years and run by expert motorcyclists.
Fully authorised workshop.