DKR scooters were produced in Wolverhampton from 1957 to 1966. DKR was formed in 1957 by
Barry Day and Noah Robinson, who were directors of the Willenhall Motor Radiator Co, and industrialist
Cyril Kieft who also built racing cars. The company was run from premises at Pendeford Airport.
1957 The first model was launched, in July, as the Dove. The machine
was stylish, if somewhat weighty, and was fitted with a 147cc Villiers30C engine, fan cooling and a three-speed gearbox.
1958 The Dove was joined by the 148cc 31C engine Pegasus
and the 197cc 9E engine Defiant. All were fitted with the
same chassis and body. The Defiant was powered by a 197cc, blower-cooled,
single-cylinder, two-stroke Villiers
engine. It had a Siba
Dynastart electric starter, which ensured first time starting, a
four-speed gearbox, and a Villiers
carburettor. Its maximum speed was 60mph and the petrol consumption was
90mpg at 30mph The machine sold for £189.15s.5d. The Pegasus
sold for £177.11s.11d.
1959 The Manx appeared, with a 249cc 2T twin engine.
1960 Saw the 148cc Dove II and the 174cc 2L engine Pegasus
1961 Most of the previous models were replaced by the new Capella
range, which had revamped styling and bodywork. Villiers
engines were used - the 148cc 31C, 174cc 2L and the 197cc
9E - and standard and de luxe versions were offered.
The Capella Standard sold for £152.13s.6d. For the De Luxe
models, the 173cc version was priced at £166.10s.10d. and the 200cc
version was priced at £173.13s.10d. These models continued for the
next five years.
1966 Production ceased due to falling sales and increased foreign competition.