Grandex were produced from 1910 to 1916 by a company at 86, Gray's Inn Road, London.
1910 Stanley Show Report
Grandex Cycle Co., Ltd.
28 Gray's Inn Road, London, W.C. Stand No. 46.
This is a new firm to exhibit motor-cycles. The Grandex lightweight has a H.P. Jap or Precision engine, Druid spring forks, Lycett saddle and rubber belt, and Amac or Brown and Barlow carburetter. The B.S.A. free-wheel hub is fitted, Bowden brake on the front wheel, and pulley brake on the back. The retail price is 33 guineas, including carrier and stand. The 4 H.P. model has a Jap motor and costs the rider 8 guineas more. One town, one agent, is the Grandex simple policy.
1912 Three models were offered, all with Precision engines:
2½ hp Lightweight, single speed, 2 speed NSU or 3 speed Sturmey-Archer.
3¾ hp Touriste or T.T., single, 2 or 3 speed as above.
4¼ hp Big Sidecar Instrument, single, 2 or 3 speed.
1913 Only Precision engines were used, except for a short period when a Green water-cooled unit was fitted.
1915 A 225cc Peco two-stroke model with two-speeds was added.
1916 Was the last year. For some time prior to this they had also been listed as Grandex-Precision.
Grandex Motor Cycles, Gray's Inn Road, W.C.
The chief models for 1913 made by this firm are a 5-6 h.p. twin for sidecar work, a 4 ¼ h.p. single cylinder for sidecar work, and a 3¾ h.p. Tourist model, all of which are fitted with Sturmey-Archer three-speed gears. In addition to these there are the 3¾ h.p. and 2¾ h.p. T.T. single-geared models and the 2¼ h.p. competition model and a 2½ h.p. lightweight.
All of these machines are fitted with Precision engines, Best and Lloyd lubricators, and the same double dropped frame which was introduced at the end of last year. The carrier is slightly altered, being made rather more strongly and attached to the rear mudguard, and Saxon forks are used on all models. The magneto is handle-bar controlled, and the latest pattern automatic Brown and Barlow carburetter is fitted.
AN exceedingly handy little lightweight is the 1915 Grandex-Pup, which we recently had an opportunity of inspecting at the Grandex Co.'s showrooms at 86, Gray's Inn Road, W.C. The machine is fitted with the new 2¼ h.p. Precision engine, the valves of which are mechanically operated and vertical instead of horizontal as formerly, while it may be remembered that the dog clutch two-speed gear is incorporated in the crank case, the change being operated by means of a pedal.
The machine we saw was not the final model, and the next batch will be altered in various details; for example, instead of a U.H. magneto the Splitdorf will be fitted. The machine will be provided with aluminium footboards, and an improved heel-operated brake with transverse pedal will form part of the equipment. The silencer is large, and fitted with a long exit pipe so that the little machine should be fairly silent. Either Druid or Saxon Spring forks may be had to order.
The frame possesses a dropped top tube, while an excellent piece of work is the bottom bracket, which is in one piece and brazed directly on to the chain stays. A Bowden handle-bar is fitted complete with levers and wires, the latter running inside the bar and presenting a very neat appearance. The carburetter is the well-known B. and B. The machine, which is sold at quite a moderate figure, is well equipped and turned out with 2in. tyres, luggage carrier, and metal cased tool-bag.
The Motor Cycle, December 3rd, 1914.
Grandex-Precision Motor Co., 86, Gray's Inn Road, W.C.
If you have further information or a query related to this page, please contact us