Riley motorcycles were produced between 1899 and 1906, in Coventry.
1899 The firm had started to produce tricycles and quadricycles using 2¼ hp
German Cudell or Belgian Minerva
engines, both of which went behind the rear axle and, according to the
type, one or two front wheels were fitted.
1900 At about this time engines were changed to a 2¾ hp or a 3½ hp MMC.
1901 The first motorcycle appeared as a typically primitive solo fitted
with a 1½ hp Minerva or a 2¾ hp
1902 A forecar design was added to the range.
1903 During the year a further option was added in the form of a 3½ hp
MMC engine. The solos were advertised
as the Moto-Bi. Late that year, Riley started fitting their own
engines in the vertical mounting position, but still kept the Moto-Bi
name. Engine sizes were 2.25-hp, 3-hp and 3.5-hp. The largest of those
was intended for forecar use, with the option of water- or fan-cooling,
and both forecars and sidecars were included in the range.
1904 The forecar was revised that year.
1905 A further forecar was added to the range.
1906 A fairly heavy machine appeared, fitted with a 6-hp, 804cc V-twin
engine, but early in the year the production of motorcycles stopped and
the company turned its attention firstly to tricars and then to motorcars.
1912 Spennell's lists them at St. Nicholas Street, Coventry (Wire, Kite;
Tel. 216) and as manufacturers of motorcycles.
Mention was not made in our [Crystal Palace] show report last week of the
Riley tricars and 9 h.p. car, as they were late in arrival. A
trial car running in the grounds daily made light work of
the stiff hills in the vicinity of the Palace.