The Elswick Cycle Co produced motorcycles from 1903 to 1915, in Barton-on-Humber, Yorkshire. The company was founded as Elswick-Hopper Cycle and Motor Co, in 1880.
1903 The company had made purpose built frames to attach engines to bicycles and, having previously been involved in the production of cycles, they went on to list machines with either a 2hp or a 4hp V-twin engine. One or both cylinders of the latter could be used as necessary. The make then disappeared for a few years.
1912 They returned to the market in with two models. Conventional in format, both were fitted with Precision 348cc / 498cc engines of 2½ hp and 3¾ hp. Later they produced 4¼ hp and V-twins and a model fitted with a 269cc Villiers engine or a 2hp Precision.
Elswick Cycles Mfg. Co., Barton-on-Humber.
1919 Olympia Show
The Motor Cycle, November 27th 1919
There were plans to resume production after the end of the Great War, but these did not come to fruition. The Olympia Show report above is believed to refer to remaining stock being sold off. Elswick concentrated on making bicycles.
Sadly, production costs proved too high and it did not enter production. Six prototypes were constructed, of which two remain.
If you have further information or a query related to this page, please contact us