Haden Green New-Comet Motorcycles

Today in Motorcycle History

Gustavus Green

Green were motorcycles produced in 1909 and 1921 by Gustavus Green of Berners Street, London.

1909 Gustavus Green had been building water-cooled engines since 1905, but in 1909 he offered complete machines fitted with his special cylinder with OHV and a copper radiator on either side. A divided tank formed the top member of the frame, with the front section carrying excess water. Belt driven, it was fitted with Druid forks.

There was then a gap of many years when Gustavus and his son, Charles, were involved with the Regal-Green make, who fitted their 499cc water-cooled engine up to the war. Gustavus then went on to become involved with engine design for aircraft and motor gunboats during World War I, before retiring to concentrate on advanced ideas in horology and photography.

1921 The Green motorcycle appeared once more in the form of a 3½ hp water-cooled machine in its pre-war form. This was probably for stock clearance purposes.

A Water-cooled Single.

An important motor bicycle, which we are very glad to see revived after the war, is the 3 ½ h.p. Green. Our readers may remember that Green engine is one of the lightest and most successful water-cooled engines ever fitted to a motor cycle. Water-cooling undoubtedly possesses many attractions; when it is fitted it is more easy to keep the engine in tune and more easy to maintain full power on full throttle. The Green engine possesses a cast iron cylinder, over which is pressed a copper water-jacket and honeycomb radiator combined.

This jacket is secured at the top by means of a castellated ring nut, while at the base of the jacket is Green's patent watertight joint, consisting of a rubber ring between two brass rings equally expanded by means of bolts. The valves are overhead, and so designed as to produce the maximum efficiency.

These excellent features remain unaltered; but, so far as the engine itself is concerned, the chief improvements are in the fitting of ball and roller bearings to the connecting rod and crankshaft. The piston is of steel, and of the Zephyr pattern. The amount of water carried in the jacket and radiator is not quite sufficient for ordinary purposes, and in the very wide tank a separate brass water compartment, with a capacity of 1 ½ pints, has been let in, and between it and the oil compartment an air space has been provided. The tank is secured underneath, and the secondary horizontal frame member is in duplicate, and splayed out so as to allow the valves and the cylinder head to be easily reached.

The frame has been entirely reconstructed, and is now built to accommodate a Sturmey-Archer three-speed gear box and 7 ½ in. mudguards. Two external contracting band brakes are fitted to the rear wheel, in which also is incorporated the transmission shock absorber. This machine is shortly to be ready for production, and deliveries will, we understand, begin in March. The makers are the Green Motor Cycle Co., 50, Jermyn Street, London, W.l.

Olympia Show, 1920

The Motor Cycle, December 9th, 1920. Page 792

Sources: Graces Guide, et al

If you have further information or a query related to this page, please contact us