Manufactured 1898-1903 by the Coventry Motor Company.
Used 2½ & 3½hp engines based on a Leon Bollee design.
First announced in 1987, the Coventry Motette entered production in 1899. It was developed by the Coventry Motor Company and the Humber company and was produced at both plants. CEO of the operation was Charles McRobie Turrell, secretary to H.J. Lawson . A modified version of the Bollee tricar, it had belt drive and its cylinder alongside the rear wheel, and the crank-shaft and reduction gear ahead of it. The passenger seat went between the front wheels and the driver sat behind.
It is believed that quite a number of these machines were manufactured and sold to the well-heeled.
N.B. 1. Harry J. Lawson had a dubious reputation. He was involved with Lawson tricars and other firms.
The project involved a modified version of the Bollee tricar that had belt drive and its cylinder alongside the rear wheel, and the crank-shaft and reduction gear ahead of it. The passenger seat went between the front wheels and the driver sat behind.
The company also built a ladies' model that had the engine ahead of the rear wheel, which was driven by a wooden pulley pressed against the tyre. The rider was seated above the petrol tank and hot-tube ignition burner, but despite this, the machine travelled safely from Coventry to London.
Produced the Beeston motorcycle from 1896 to 1901.
1897 The company produced its first motorized bicycles.
By 1898 they had gone into production and manufactured a quadricycle - the tricyle fitted with two front wheels with a forecar-style passenger seat hung between them. That year also saw the arrival of a motorcycle with an extended frame to accommodate the engine that was mounted just in front of the rear wheel, and direct chain drive.
In 1901 the company closed.
Note: They were also called Humber-Beeston and Beeston-Humber.
Source: Graces Guide
1897 The Coventry Motor Company was started by Harry Lawson from addresses at Parkside, and Conduit Yard (off Spon Street). He purchased the UK rights to build the Leon Bollee design and called this new three-wheeled vehicle the 3.5 h.p. Coventry Motette and appointed Charles McRobie Turrell to manage affairs.
The Coventry Motor Co ceased to trade around 1903.
Sources: Graces Guide, wiki.transport-museum.com, Wikipedia.
This article delves further into the history: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Coventry_Motor_Company
If you have further information or a query related to this page, please contact us