A Brief History of the Marque
Manufactured: 1947 - 2006
Moto Laverda was founded in 1947 by Francesco Laverda Breganze in the province of Vicenza.
Laverda was an agricultural equipment factory whose first motorcycles had an OHV 75cc engine in a pressed-metal frame.
In the 1950s and 60s they also produced scooters:
Miniscooter 2 1959-1962
Miniscooter 49 1962-1965
Miniscooter 60 1962-1965
In 1968 they created a new 653cc machine with overhead camshaft, soon increased to 748cc. This was followed, in 1973, by a three-cylinder 980cc DOHC sports machine which was very well received. The crowning achievement of the period was the development of a V6 enduro racer, designed by Giulio Alfieri (of Maserati fame) at the instigation of Massimo Laverda, son of the founder.
Some years later an 1115cc version appeared. Although more refined they did not achieve the popularity of their predecessors. Production continued with a twin-cylinder 500cc and with a series of small-displacement two-strokes, some with Zundapp water cooled engines. In the mid-80s the Laverda company suffered financial difficulties and as a result production ceased in 1988.
In the 1990s the marque reappeared briefly, and then was acquired in 2000 by Aprilia, which was in turn acquired by the Piaggio group which also owns Moto Guzzi.
The last Laverda motorcycle was produced in 2006 - the SFC1000 had a V-twin Aprilia engine which was designed by Rotax.
In recent years Laverda also marketed a number of scooters and imported quads.
Massimo Laverda died on October 26, 2005 from cardiac arrest.
Sources: MC Storico Conti, scooterdepoca.com et al
Triumph, BMW, & Kawasaki Sales Spares & Repairs.
Established for over 40 years and run by expert motorcyclists.
Fully authorised workshop.