Brief History of the Marque
After World War II the factory Agusta aircraft diversified its production in the motorcycle industry. The first MV (Meccanica Verghera) were two-stroke motorcycles of 98cc to 125cc. In 1947 they built a four-stroke 250cc. At the end of the fifties, MV listed a range of lightweight motorcycles and scooters of 50 to 175cc, and later introduced twins of 250 and 350cc to the production catalogue. MV scooters were produced under licence by a revived Minerva in the 1950s.
In 1950 they built their the first 500 four-cylinder racing machine along with a 125cc single. Both machines achieved resounding success, and these were followed by 250 and 350cc road-racers. Over the following decades won 37 world championships, having attracted the riders who, on the MV, became as legendary as the machines, Hailwood and Agostini among them.
In 1967 the first four-cylinder road-going motorcycle was introduced sporting a 600cc engine with shaft drive, followed in 1972 by an extremley attractive 750cc DOHC sports model, the 750S.
In 1977, the motorcycle sector of Agusta was sold to Cagiva who produced a range of very credible sports machines under the MV banner.
2014. Mercedes-AMG purchased a 25 per cent stake in MV Agusta. MV Agusta employs around 260 people at its headquarters located on the shore of Lago di Varese in Northern Italy.
125C SL 1950-1951
125C GT (1st series) 1950-1951
125D SL 1951
125C GT (2nd series) 1951-1952
150C GT 1951-1952
Sources: MC Storico Conti et al
If you have a query about MV Agusta or have some information to add about these classic Italian machines, please contact us