This page lists brands for which we currently have only an historical precis.
For a more complete listing visit the Swedish Index.
Electric Superbike and Café Racer with hub steering.
A modern motorcycle with extreme performance and many innovative solutions.
ISR hub guide with front swing milled in solid aluminum.
Öhlins single dampers front and rear.
YASA 400 electric motor with 328Nm of torque, weight 24kg.
Hub control together with chassis, suspension and brake components gives better road feel compared to a traditional front fork.
The electric motor has low weight, high torque and no internal friction. The engine is concentrically placed in the chassis for a stiffer and more consistent driving experience. The engine together with the control unit and the radiator is a closed system that is expected to be maintenance free for about 15 years
Manufactured by M. Berlin & Co., AB, Varnamo, 1937-1962
Pre-war models used Husqvarna engines, and after the war they also used Zundapp and JLO of 98cc to 198cc, along with a number of Levis 98cc engines from Hepburn Engineering.
Postwar they built the Monte Carlo, Bel Rock, Bladet and TfA mopeds, among others.
The company also built machines under the Rondo Lyx brand.
Around 1960 the company became part of the Volvo group under MCB and it is believed that Apollo moped construction continued until the mid-1960s.
Sources: GTU Oldtimerservice, mo-ped.se, icenicam.org.uk
Velocipedaktiebolaget Lindblad, Stockholm, sold many different mopeds supplied by Nymans and rebadged as Blixt under an agreement between the companies made in 1931.
Models included the 1953 Autoped, 1955 40cc Packmoped and 1956 Blixt Saxoped,
A.B. Hjalmar Stendahl, Norrköping.
Bicycle manufacturer Hedlunds (Hedmora) sold a moped powered by an AMO engine in the early 1950s.
Under 1910-talet var det inte ovanligt att händiga personer byggde sig en egen motorcykel. Det var ofta studerande som gick i utbildning för att bli tekniker eller ingenjörer och som inte hade råd att köpa en fabrikstillverkad. Under ingenjörsutbildningen på Tekniska skolan i Örebro gjorde Carle ritningarna och trämodellerna (TM 29.889) för att kunna gjuta motordetaljer till den hembyggda motorn. Carles motorcykel registrerades som W 1 och är ett bra exempel på hembyggen vid den tiden.
PRODUKTION 1912 - 1915
TILLVERKARE Carle, Sigurd
Prior to WW1 it was not uncommon for skilled people to build their own motorcycle. There were often students who went to school to become technicians or engineers who could not afford to buy a factory-made machine. During his years studying at the Technical School in Örebro, Carle made drawings and wooden models (TM 29.889) in order to cast components of his engine. Carle's motorcycle was registered as W 1 and is a good example of home construction at that time.
Production: 1912 - 1915
Manufactured Enköping 1925-1930
The brothers Karlsson built some 100 lightweight motorcycles to order using engines built by Ludwig Widesson of Stockholm. The motorcycles were sold by a local dealer, who later built very similar machines under the name Ragne.
Source: Bjorn's Story
An example of this marque exists in a Swedish museum equipped with a 3-speed 150cc JB two-stroke engine. It has a tubular frame, telescopic forks, rigid rear and a solo saddle, and appears to be from the early 1950s. There was also a 1955 JLO 250cc twin.
This is actually a Monark, rebadged as a department store brand, in German a kaufhaus.
Source: Bjorn's Story, ig-jlo-twin.eu
Manufactured by Velociped AB Lindblad, Stockholm, c.1922
Lindblad, founded 1896, was primarily a bicycle manufacturer. They also built light motorcycles with bicycle attachment engines.
Source: Zabytkowemotocykleirowery Poland
Manufactured by David Senning in Dalarna, 1924-1927
The motorcycles were powered by MAG V-twins of 500 and 750cc, the first 10 or so using Husqvarna frames and the remaining 5~600 employing their own frames constructed from a special class of cast iron. Senning was by all accounts a remarkable fellow and highly respected.
Sources: Bjorn's Story, albinracing.blogg.se
Svensk Motorindustri of Örkelljunga built motorcycles in 1926 with a 250cc engine of their own design with the intention of selling through Nymans who, as it turned out, purchased only the engines. This apparentently caused the company to fail. It was purchased by Suecia and went on to bigger and better things.
Source: Bjorn's Story
Emil Lindblom, Njurunda.
The bicycle firm sold rebadged Husqvarna mopeds in 1954.
Frode Lund, Malmö.
Built a pretty moped in 1956 using a frame from Monarch, and a Puch engine.
Lars Nilsson, who had been a motocross racer and an engineer with Husqvarna, partnered with Fredy Olson to buy the motorcycle production machinery from Husqvarna in 1994 after it ceased manufacture. They developed a 60° V twin engine which piqued interest from both CCM and Sachs, the latter equipping their "Beast" prototype with a Folan engine. Marine and light aviation companies also took note, however the new firm took a different direction and took an American partner to form MCM which which created a new brand, Highland. Things did not go to plan.
Folan is an acronym of the partner's names.
Manufactured by K.G. Karlsson of Skövde, 1912-1919
These were lightweights using an inclined engine, with an optional clutch introduced in 1912. The 1912 version had a large cylindrical brass tank, belt drive and pedals, rim brake acting on the belt sprocket, and rudimentary front suspension. Four examples remain, at least one of which has beautifully restored.
A suspicious factory fire resulted in bankruptcy in 1919.
Manufactured by G.A. Hägg in Alingsås, Sweden
A 440cc tandem twin engine in a German frame with a 2-speed Sturmy Archer gearbox, the machine was exhibited as part of the Svärdsjö MC Collection
Source: Bjorn's Story
Hjorten - Åhlén & Holm A:B, Stockholm.
The bicycle firm marketed an Apollo moped in 1956 fitted with a Zündapp Combimot 255
Manufacturer of performance brakes and other sophisticated components, they have built and campaigned endurance racers, and also produced three examples of the ISR-Hedlund 980cc V-Twin.
See also Hedlund
J. Benson, Eskilstuna
Produced 150cc motorcycle engines and a single-speed 48cc moped engine. The factory was located at Tullgatan 7 in Eskilstuna.
The 3-speed 150 JB engine was used in the Svalan scooter (fan cooled), and also by Mustang and Monark. The first version of the engine was a 128cc, and was used in an Apollo.
The hilfsmotor was employed by KÄRnan, Svalette, Vimpeln and ÖRnen, among others.
The firm also produced Maraton motorised bicycles and mopeds; 1953 models were Model Ma 41 and Vp 41.
Sources: classicmotor.se, mo-ped.se
Aktiebolaget CH. Kroon , Vansbro.
The firm built mopeds in 1953-54 with Victoria, JLO, Pilot (from RMW), Express, Sachs and Flink engines.
In 1968 they were associated with Kärnan.
A.B. Allmotor, Örebro built hilfsmotor in the 1950s. These were also sold as Rondo
Manufactured by the Andersson brothers, based at Kungsgatan 18, Gothenburg
The firm built bicycles from 1910, and motorcycles powered by 98cc Sachs engines during the years 1937 - 1939. The firm also built radios until about 1950.
Source: Ianders Archive
Manufactured by AB Mustad & Son, Göteborg
Under licence, it appears, the Mustad scooter was also produced by A/S Folkescooter, København, Hellerup in Denmark and Sports Firmæt GRESVIG, Oslo in Norway. The Danes used a BFC engine, the others an AMO.
Carl Liljeberg established Trelleborgs Velocipedfabrik in 1921, in Trelleborg. The firm built bicycles for over seven decades, closing in 1994.
The factory constructed mopeds from 1952 to 1984
The Mustang Anaconda was marketed in 1974 and 75. Other models included Mamba, Cross and Cobra, all fitted with Zundapp engines, and a Sport with a 3-speed HMW.
Sources: Bjorn's Story, mo-ped.se, wikipedia.sv
Norsjö Mek. Verkstads AB Forshaga.
The firm built a range of moped utility vehicles and invalid tricycles c1958~2003.
Models: Invalid, Shopper, Partner, Packi 1962, Packy 1972-90, Carrier 98-2000s.
The Shopper Mopedbil was a single seater with handlebar steering, powered by a Sachs 47cc engine mounted at the rear. Also known as the Forshaga Shopper, it first appeared in 1962 and was produced well into the seventies.
Sources: mo-ped.se, Bruce Weiner Microcar Museum
E. A. Renlundin Pyöräkeskus, Kokkola.
The firm sold mopeds 1953-58, all with Sachs engines. They were related to Wiklunds.
There was also a Nordstjernan of 1915, based on an FN Four.
Maskinaffären Centrum i Tobo. AB Cykelfabriken Monark, Varberg.
The firm sold rebadged Monark MCB mopeds fitted with NSU engines, 1953-1954
Öberg & Östman, Örnsköldsvik
The firm marketed mopeds 1958~1964. Associated with the Fram and Bricent marques, some of their sales brochures were identical other than the logo.
AB John Hedberg, Malmö, built mopeds using Pilot engines in the 1950s.
Marketed by Carlström & Son, Emmaboda, Sweden.
Sold the Original model 2000 with a Sachs 50 cc engine. With extensive fairing of front and rear guards, tank and headlight in one unit, it was a cery stylish machine.
Also sold Autopeds from Nymans.
Manufactured by AB John Hedbergs Maskinaffär, Malmö.
Swedish for "Eagle", the business was established in the late 1890s as a bicycle manufacturer. In the early 1950s they began selling mopeds sourced from German and Swedish factories and rebranding them as their own, sometimes with changes other than just the insignia. These included Victoria, Express and Husqvarna. Some used JB engines, and their Monark-built scooter of 1958 was powered by Puch.
Around 100 motorcycles were built by Carl Park before his untimely death in 1916. The motorcycles used an NSU frame and a 500cc V-twin engine of Park's own construction. Some were sold to the military with Park's patented ski attachment.
Source: Bjorn's Story
Marketed by Optimex AB Sveavägen 81, Stockholm.
Sold the 48cc 1953 Pellegrino Brunetta from the Italian firm Nassetti.
Manufactured and sold by AB RESEXO, Sundbyberg.
In 1954 they produced a scooter moped with an Eolo engine from Italy.
Manufactured by Albert Öhman A-B., Stockholm.
Possibly active as early as 1903, in the 1950s they sold mopeds supplied by NV Nyman and rebranded.
Models included the Rambler Saxoped, Flink and Victoria hilfsmotor. 1958 saw the appearance of the Rambler 2010 and 2015 with 2 and 3 speed Sachs engines (preceded by the 2000 model). There were various Transportcykel (3 wheelers) and in 1963 they began selling Tomos mopeds.
AB SCOTTY Kalendegatan 16, Malmö.
The firm marketed a rather odd little scooter powered by an HMW engine, designed and possibly built by Borghammar & Lund of Malmö.
Built lightweights of 188cc in the early 20th century, one of which was bought by Carl Persson-Park.
Source: Bjorn's Story
Fredrik von Malmborg, Norrköping, 1923-1928
Built motorcycles using a 346cc OHV single of their own construction, along with models fitted with engines from by Blackburne including large V-twins.
Carl H Clausen produced the Sölve at AB Sölvesborg's Foundry & Mechanical Workshop. The machine was manufactured in a small number, and only a few remain.
The unit pictured has a 243cc four-stroke engine.
Source: Bjorn's Story. Image from Wikipedia.
Built by AB Tobo, Tobo, using Pilot engines from RMW in Germany. There was a relationship with Monark.
Manufactured by Sjöstrand in Dalarna
In 1914 a 280cc two-stroke was built, and in 1917 a quite different machine.
Source: Bjorn's Story
Arvika-Thermænius AB - Katrineholm.
In the early 60s offered a range of mopeds and light scooters powered by JLO, Monark, NSU engines. It is likely that most if not all of them were built by Monark.
Gottfried Darck developed a 50cc hilfsmotor in the late 40s which was sold to several firms but was not terribly successful. It was mounted on the left side of the rear wheel, suspended from a rack which also supported the fuel tank.
Darck many have been involved in development of the Kuli engines.
Albert Öhman AB Stockholm rebadged Typhoon motorcycles with engines from Zundapp, DKW, NSU and Sachs in the 1950s.
Models included: Tiger Panther 350cc Competition, Tiger Mc 11 125 DKW, Tiger Mc 20 Sachs 150cc, Tiger TZ Zundapp 200cc, Tiger Mc 34 DKW 250cc, 100 Consul, NSU 500cc.
Hagalunds Cykelaffär, Stocksund Klinga sold rebadged HVA (Husqvarna) mopeds.
Manufactured in Varberg for Eols and Haakonbolagen (ICA, Västerås).
Manufactured by A.B. Helsingborgs Maskinaffär, Hälsingborg.
A cycle firm, they sold mopeds and light scooters from c1954 to 1959 powered by Sachs and Zundapp engines. Most if not all were sourced from other manufacturers and rebadged.
Manufactured by A-B Heimburgs (Oscar Heimburg), Malmö, 1956~1963
Sold mopeds and light scooters sourced from external suppliers and rebadged.
Models include Wici Lyxmoped, delivery tricycles, the Senior-Moped and others. Powered by JLO, Pilot and NSU engines.
Built motor-bicycles in 1923 using a two-stroke engine of 184cc in a reinforced bicycle frame. Magneto ignition and Amac carburettor were fitted.
Wiklunds Cykel & Motor marketed the Star moped in 1956. It was built by Nymans & Crescent and powered by a 50cc Fichtel & Sachs engine.
Manufactured in Vara 1913-1915
Two models were constructed, the first a two-stroke of 223cc which ran on kerosene, the second a 275cc four-stroke.
Source: Bjorn's Story
If you have a query or information about Swedish motorcycles, please contact us