Torpedo were motorcycles produced from 1908 to 1915.
1880 Company established.
1907 Incorporated as a Limited Company. The company was registered on 13
February, as a private limited company, to acquire a business of cycle
1908 The machine was first catalogued.
1910 The Torpedo was first seen at the late Olympia show. It was
intended to use a 4.25 Fafnir
engine, but this was changed to 2½ hp and 3½ hp Precision
engines, with belt drive and Druid
1910 Cycle and Motorcycle Exhibition
F. Hopper and Co.
Barton-on-Humber. Stand No. 88.
These motor-cycles have a well chosen name in the "Torpedo." There are two patterns, the 3 1/2 HP with ball bear- in motor, adjustable pulley having ratios from 4 to 1 to to 1,
Brown and Barlow carburetter, and 2-l/4 in. tyres. The light-weight has a 2 H.P. motor, Amac carburetter, 6 to 1 gear, and 1 3/4 studded tyres. Simms magnetos and Lyso belts are
used in both cases, while the tyres are Dunlops. The weight of the full roadster with carrier and stand is reckoned at 160 lbs., while the light-weight is well under 100 lbs.
Later came a 4¼ hp model with hub gears and a 190cc lightweight.
1914 A V-twin was added.
1914 Wholesale cycle, motor cycle and motor car manufacturers. Specialities:
complete machines, frames and concomitant parts. Employees 50.
1915 The range continued for that year.
The company also sold motorcycle sets comprising frame, forks, tank, wheels,
mudguards, pedals and handlebars. The trader then added engine, transmission,
saddle, tyres and other minor details, including transfer outline, to sell
as his own make of machine. It was the same machine as the Elswick.