The workshop address is given as Sandyford Lane, circa 1923.
1906 Advancements were made and soon all-chain drive was in use, with a Dene two-speed counter-shaft gear working on the elliptical principle and with a clutch.
1908 A two-speed hub gear was patented.
1910 The machines had become typical of the era and were now fitted with Precision engines, belt drive and sprung forks. There was a gradual move from a three-speed rear hub to a two-speed gearbox. Singles and V-twins were built.
1914 A two-stroke was produced.
1915 There was some production that year but the war that would be over by Christmas wasn't, and manufacture came to a halt.
1921 Advertised a large range of parts for BSA, Triumph, Douglas and others, but no mention of their own motorcycles in the catalogue. Address given was Handyside's Arcade, Percy Street, Newcastle-upon-Tyne.
1924 During that year production came to an end.
1909 Dene Models.
The Dene Motor Co., Newcastle-on-Tyne, are specialising for this year upon the production of a big twin machine. The specification includes 8 h.p. V Jap engine, with Blic magneto behind engine driven by chain from engine shaft. This design is a distinct "breakaway" from standard, and brings the contact breaker to the right hand side — a great convenience in sidecar machines. Transmission is by Renold chain through Sturmey-Archer three-speed countershaft gear.
Chains are enclosed in cast and machined aluminium cases. Back wheel quickly detachable and fitted with buffer drive to eliminate shock. Dunlop tyres, 28in. x 3in. Brooks saddle. The hubs are carried on Hoffmann journal bearings. The brakes are of the belt-rim type with compensating shoe operating inside the rim. The price will be £130. The firm also markets a 4 h.p. chain-cum-belt-drive model, the price of which is £95.
The Motor Cycle, May 8th, 1909.
Sources: Graces Guide, The Motor Cycle.
If you have further information or a query related to this page, please contact us