Manufactured 1910 to 1923
Advertisements of 1915 and 1920 give their address as Gt. Tindal St, Ladywood, Birmingham. Later they moved to Smethwick, Staffordshire (now West Midlands)
1912 By now they were using 3½ hp and water-cooled 4¼ hp Precision engines and a 3½ hp JAP for the TT model. The motorcycles were fitted with two-speed Bowden gear, Saxon forks, oil tank mounted on the saddle tube, and fully enclosed chain final-drive.
1920 Advertised Model A 2½ hp 2 stroke, Model B 2½ hp 2 stroke 2 speed, Model B II with a Sturmey-Archer 2 speed, Model C 2½ hp with three speed box and sidecarette (105 pounds), Model D Ladies 2½ hp 2 speed.
The company moved to Smethwick, West Midlands, but only had one model. This was fitted with a 269cc Villiers engine, either with direct-belt drive or two speeds and chain-cum-belt drive.
1922 Only the latter was offered that year.
1923 Production ceased.
Ixion Motor Mfg. Co., Great Tindal Street, Ladywood, Birmingham
ONE of the most striking proofs of the efficiency of the modern medium weight machine is instanced by the fact that the Ixion Motor Co. has decided to market a complete sidecar outfit propelled by a 2¾ h.p. Peco engine of 349 c.c.
The whole machine is beautifully proportioned to the engine, and, though light, is fully strong enough for the work required. The engine has a direct belt drive to a Sturmey-Archer three-speed hub. A kick or handle starter is provided. The sidecar chassis is very neat and strong, and no adjustments are used, as the passenger carrying portion has wisely been designed expressly for the light motor cycle. Consequently, it is possible to arrange fixings in standard positions, which, besides being neat and light, greatly facilitates attachment. We have seen the sidecar attached in a few moments, and the fixings are quite. positive.
All the fittings and the finish are well carried out, and the outfit has a most pleasing appearance.
The Motor Cycle, November 19th, 1914.
Ixion. (Stand 160.)
2½ h.p. Villiers; 70x70 mm. (269 c.c); single-cylinder two-stroke; drip feed lubrication; Amac carburetter; flywheel magneto; two-speed Sturmey-Archer gear; chain and belt drive; Dunlop 26x2¼ in. tyres. Price £75; lady's model £78.
Although embodying standard components there are many little points about the Ixion that appeal to the practical motor cyclist. The belt guard, for example, first applied only to the lady's machine, is now fitted to both types. This should be appreciated by the business man and others who ride in ordinary long overcoats. Removal of four set-screws detaches this guard, which is integral with the primary chain cover. Another noticeable little point is the arrangement of the mudshields, which fail to strike the usual jarring note and positively blend with the machine. Nor does efficiency appear to be lacking.
Again only a practical rider could have designed the compression release handle-bar control. Situated right above the clutch lever, it may be operated by the same hand and at the same time, thus allowing the engine to be readily stopped when the clutch is withdrawn. The lubrication is carried out by a cleverly devised combination of Best and Lloyd drip feed and Enots pump.
3 h.p. Precision; 74x81 mm. (350 c.c); single-cylinder two-stroke; mechanical lubrication; Amac carburetter; M-L chain-driven magneto; two-speed Sturmey-Archer gear; chain and belt drive; Dunlop 26x2¼ in. tyres. Price £110 with sidecar.
Special attention has been given to the sidecar connections of this little machine, which sells only as a lightweight outfit. It is claimed that correct alignment once gained cannot be lost, and also that there are fewer loose pins, etc., in the couplings than on any other sidecar on the market. Undoubtedly the connections are very simple, and at the same time amply secure. The machine itself follows orthodox lines, and is finished in the customary Ixion shade of khaki green.
The company name is also recorded as Whittal Engineering, of Whitall St Birmingham. This appears to be a mistake.
In 1930, the Ixion brand reappeared as rebadged 250cc New Hudson sidevalves which they were having trouble moving in the very difficult market conditions. Using the Ixion marque enabled New Hudson to sell their stock at much more competitive prices.
The Ixion built by Primus of Loughborough Junction, London in 1902-1904 was almost certainly built under license from Ixion of France
For information on the relationship between the various Ixion marques, see Disambiguation
If you have further information or a query related to this page, please contact us