These motorcycles produced from 1905 to 1909, by J. T. Brown of Oxford Road, Reading (50 miles W. of London).
Very few of these machines were either built or sold - even in the United States, where they were constructed under licence. This was probably in part due to the unusual feature, in the Edwardian era, of an enclosed engine, something which was relativley rare until the 1980s. The engines were rated at 3hp for the single and 5hp for the V-twin.
The machine was displayed at the 1908 Stanley Show
1908 The design had been licensed to the Walton firm in the United States who used American-built V-twin engines. It continued to be offered in the UK with a choice of 3½ hp single or 5hp V-twin engine.
1909 A two-speed option was added.
1910 Machines were fitted with 3½ hp or 4¼ hp Fafnir engines and Druid forks.
1911 They used a 3½ hp Precision engine with a 4½ hp listed for sidecar work.
1912 The smaller engine was used on a ladies' model and there was also a 2½ hp lightweight machine.
1914 The marque was discussed in The Motor Cycle during the latter half of that year.
J. T. Brown and Son, Reading. Stand No. 85.
This exhibit consists of three motor-bicycles and a "Roc" clutch. The bicycles are distinctly interesting. No tubes are used in the frame, it being entirely built up of pressed steel. The various members are joined and enclosed by sheet steel, thus forming petrol tanks, oil tanks and tool cupboard. The engine is a "Fafnir," carburetter an Amac, and ignition by magneto. A two-speed gear may be fitted at a small extra charge. The single-cylinder single-speed machine is priced at 30 guineas, and the 2-cylinder, with 5 H.P. Peugeot engine, at 45 guineas.
The Midget Bi-car is a motor-cycle with a personality. It is in appearance quite distinct from the majority, and by its claims commends itself to the notice of riders who require something different from the standard type. The open frame type, suitable for either lady or gentleman, has all its parts enclosed, thus giving protection from dust and wet, while presenting a decidedly neat appearance. This machine is handled as a car, by means of the automatic variable pulley, and free engine device. The engine fitted is a 3¾ H.P. "Precision," equipped with B. and B. carburetter and Eisemann magneto, and the machine is completed with Druid spring forks, Dunlop tyres and belt, and Brooks saddle. A neat side-car is also shown.
Sources: Graces Guide, The Motor Cycle
If you have further information or a query related to this page, please contact us