Triumph, BMW, & Kawasaki Sales Spares & Repairs.
Established for over 40 years and run by expert motorcyclists.
Fully authorised workshop.
This year we have refrained from giving a stand to stand report of the motor cycle exhibits at the Stanley Show, because the show guide of last week, which was mainly intended for those motor cyclists who were fortunate enough to be able to pay a visit to the Agricultural Hall, dealt with many of the most important exhibits in advance. The review of the show which we print below, after a personal inspection of the motor cycles and accessories on view there, should be read more in the nature of a critique of the machines and articles of interest to motor cyclists.
In a resume of this kind it is uninteresting to describe every article exhibited, as it would mean in many cases a repetition of the show guide, and therefore there are many articles of everyday use which have not been touched upon because the reader is already so well acquainted with these necessaries, that it is useless repetition to deal with them here.
TRICARS, TRICYCLES, AND MOTOR BICYCLES.
The new Anglian tricar is completely different from anything the company have hitherto produced. It is known as the ladies tricar, since it has an open frame. The machine is driven by two air-cooled engines coupled together, but having one contact breaker similar to that used on two-cylinder motor bicycles. From the engines two chains run to the countershaft. These chains are provided with fibre-covered jockey pulleys, which take up any slack which there may be, while the gear is the well-known Anglian two-speed gear, which was fully described in our last issue. The frame, which is rigid, is well designed and strong. A 10in. clutch is supplied. The ordinary type of band brake is fitted to the front wheels, but the rear band brake, which is operated by a side ratchet lever, is self-adjusting, insomuch as when the back wheel is moved backwards so as to tighten the rear chain, if two nuts on the brake mechanism are slack, the band resumes its normal position. This brake is also fitted to the earlier form of tricar, which is driven by a De Dion engine fitted with a water-cooled head. On this machine high-tension magneto and the accumulator system are fitted. The wiring is considerably simplified by using an adapter, by means of which two plugs are carried in the cylinder. Both contact breakers are, of course, coupled up together.
More on the Anglian...
The 1906 2½ h.p. Ariel does not differ greatly from that of the previous year. It is, of course, just is beautifully finished as it always has been, but the only startling innovation noticeable is the fitting of a magneto driven by chain by a sprocket fixed on the engine pulley. The 3½ h.p. single-cylinder and 5 h.p. two-cylinder models remain practically the same as they were before.
Antoine motor bicycles have undergone the following improvement for 1906. The single-cylinder machines are fitted with magneto manufactured by the company, which is of the low tension type, the current being intensified by an induction coil. The magnets are enclosed in a metal cover, which protects them from mud and wet. The magneto transmission is effected by means of gear wheels, which are completely cased in. On the front and rear wheels are band brakes, which are operated by means of Bowden wires, the exhaust valve lifter being worked in the same manner. Large mudguards are fitted. This is a small but important feature. The alterations referred to apply to the single as well as to the double-cylinder machines, with the exception that the magneto on the latter is a Simms-Bosch.
A new 4 h.p. tandem bicycle, of which the motive power is a 4 h.p. Antoine engine fitted with mechanically- operated valves. The frame is well designed, and is composed entirely of straight tubes. The engine is carried between the two halves of the frame in a position midway between the two riders. No pedals are supplied, footrests taking their place, and on each one used by the driver are two pedals, that on the near side controlling the friction clutch, and that on the offside the internal expanding brake on the rear wheel. The said clutch may also be operated by means of a long hand lever situated on the tank. There are two petrol tanks in each portion of the frame, a copper pipe connecting the two together. A good toolbag is fitted, having an outside space for the parafin can.
In the latest model Barnes tricar Mr. George Barnes has introduced several small but important improvements. In the 6-8 h.p. water-cooled model the engine is particularly accessible; with very little difficulty the cylinders can be got at, while such small points as grinding in the valves, taking down the carburetter, etc., can be easily effected. For this year the lubrication is arranged on the sight feed principle. The coil is carried on the dashboard. On the forward side of the dashboard a brass water tank is carried, while the radiators are situated low down right in the front of the machine. The pump is driven by means of a belt off the clutch drum. The air-cooled tricar is fitted with the two- cylinder 12 h.p. type of engine which Mr. Barnes used in the International Cup Race eliminating trials in the Isle of Man in the early spring. The same system of lubrication is fitted as in the case of the water-cooled machine. The throttle is worked both by the hand and foot. All car drivers know how useful a foot accelerator is, and this is the first time we have seen this arrangement fitted to a tricar. The coil and accumulator are carried in a box fixed on to the footboard. The Barnes motor bicycle, like many others this year, is fitted with spring forks. At a small extra cost the machines may be had with the back portion sprung. On Messrs. Barnes stand a tricar chassis was also exhibited, the back wheel of which was suspended on semi-elliptical springs.
More on Antoine Motorcycles
The Bat Redivivus.
The novel feature of the Bat bicycle for 1906 is the new spring fork. Instead of a single coil spring there are four springs in all, which are attached to lugs on the front forks and to clips fixed on to a tube which encircles the back of the front wheel so that the tension of the springs may be altered. This tube can be moved either backwards for stiffening the springs or forward for weakening them, so that the action of the fork may be suited to the road over which the machine travels. If the roughness of the road is such that the wheel has not sufficient clearance, the wheel may be set lower in the forks, means of adjustment being provided, and if the forks are not suited to the weight of the rider the wheel may be also laterally adjusted, so that in the case of a light farther forward, causing more The original long levers for operating the carburetter and spark advance are still retained, and on the twin-cylinder model all these work from one centre. Fitted with the spring forks just described and the old and well tried method of springing the back, the new model Bat motor bicycle should be a most comfortable one to ride.
Further information: Bat Models for 1906
An Entirely New Design.
A new machine which made its debut at the show is the Bercley. The engine which propels it is a 6 h.p., and has mechanically operated valves. The cylinders are placed side by side, there being an air gap between the two. Both exhaust ports, of course, are separate from one another, and the pipes from these go into opposite ends of the silencer. The inlet valves are at the rear of the engine, and over these sparking plugs are fitted in the valve caps in the usual fashion.
The distribution gear is arranged in the following manner. There is a pinion keyed on to the main shaft which . meshes with the central wheel. This wheel serves to take the strain off the distribution gear wheels with which it meshes, the one on the left operating the exhaust valve camshaft, and the one on its right the inlet valve camshaft. In the case of a magneto there is yet another wheel which meshes with the gear wheel on the first-named shaft, which carries the distribute. When accumulator ignition is fitted the wheel has a contact breaker of good design made on the positive make and break -system. The Bercley motor bicycle is fitted with spring forks and back-pedalling brake, which may be put out of action if desired. The latest type Longuemare carburetter, which was described in our last issue, is fitted to this machine.
See also the page on Bercley Motorcycles
The Crypto Co. handle the well-known Kelecom motor cycles, two-cylinder 6 h.p. bicycle and a 4 h.p. single-cylinder cycle were shown at the Stanley Show. The single-cylinder model has mechanically operated valves, while the double-cylinder machine has automatic valves. A new form of silencer fitted, which in appearance resembles one end of a dumb-bell, le frames of the machines are low built, with small sized wheels and long handle-bars. On the smaller sized model a Parsons non-skid chain was fitted to the back wheel, for which is company are agents.
The Stanley Show. NOVEMBER 27th, 1905.
The Durkopp Ignition.
The four-cylinder engine has a bore of 52 mm. and a stroke of mm. The valves are mechanically operated, the inlet and exhaust valves being on opposite sides. The usual Durkopp v-tension magneto incorporated with the flywheel is fitted, the four exhaust valves are raised simultaneously by means a sliding rod in which parallel slanting slots are cut. When is rod is pulled forward it slides along in a slightly upward reaction, lifting up with it the valve washer. At the end of e camshaft operating the exhaust valves the contact breaker is carried, which gives a large range of advance. The distributor is worked off the camshaft operating the inlet valves. These latter have a variable lift. Each cylinder is provided with a compression tap, the top of which is protected by a spring dust cap, the whole fitting being particularly ingenious and well made. This engine is fitted with a larger flywheel than is usually found on four-cylinder motor bicycle engines. All the Durkopp engines are fitted with ball bearing crankshafts.
Further information on the Dürkopp
One of the Clyde bicycles is a two-cylinder 5-7 h.p., fitted with Longuemare carburetter, Watawata belt, and footboards. The particular model shown was winner of the mile scratch race on the Skegness sands last July. The machine in question has an engine fitted with mechanically- operated valves, which are placed opposite to one another, that is to say, that in the case of the rear cylinder the valves face forwards, and in the case of the front cylinder they face rearwards. The latest model Clyde tricar is driven by a 6 h.p. twin-cylinder water-cooled engine with outside flywheel. Circulation is by pump, which is driven by means of a chain. The gear is of the simplest dog clutch pattern, giving two speeds forward. The frame is sprung on semi-elliptical springs fore and aft, while the axle of the rear wheel is extremely long. The frame itself is trussed, and radius rods are fitted from a central point of the frame to the ends of the back axle. Internal expanding brakes are fitted to the two front wheels, and a similar brake is attached to the rear wheel.
More about Clyde Motorcycles...
A motor bicycle which appeared for the first time in this country is the G.B. It is fitted with a two-cylinder engine, which may be had of 5 h.p. or 3 h.p., and is belt driven. The ignition is by high-tension magneto, gear driven, and a free-engine clutch is also fitted, which is operated by a large and well-designed handle and by a Bowden wire. The clutch also is well made, and does not throw out the belt lines when put i into action. Great attention has been paid to points of convenience; a small plunger is inserted underneath the jet, which, when pressed upwards, pushes a needle through the orifice, clearing it of any foreign matter without dismounting the whole of the mechanism. Two small ball valves are fitted on to the inlet valve domes, so that through them petrol may be injected when necessary. The advance of the magneto is effected, not in the usual manner by a lever at the top tube, but by a long brake lever which is attached to a Bowden wire. The spindle on which this lever hinges is provided with a large disc, the result being the lever works just sufficiently stiffly so that it is not affected in any way by the vibration of the machine. With a long lever of this kind a most delicate adjustment may be obtained. The throttle is worked by a lever attached to the top tube, while a small pull-up lever regulates the air supply. Band brakes are fitted to both wheels. The oil pump is carried in an almost horizontal position on the top of the tank, the object being that it can be seen whether the oil fills it when the plunger is drawn up.
Altogether the machine is a thoroughly practical and well-designed mount, the wheelbase being long and the reach from the ground low. The single-cylinder G.B. motor bicycle strongly resembles the other in almost every detail, with the exception that the valves are mechanically operated. These machines can also be fitted with spring forks if necessary. We might mention that the G.B. Motor Co. are also introducing a moderately-priced sidecarriage to attach to the right-hand side, and to run in conjunction with their machines. An illustration of the twin-cylinder bicycle was published last week.
There was quite a good show of Kerry motor bicycles of all patterns, and the Kerry-Abingdon tricar, which was not quite completed. This latter is driven by a 5 h.p. twin- cylinder air-cooled engine, with 70 mm. by 80 mm. cylinders, fitted with a two-speed gear and free engine. The gear is operated by means of sliding dog clutches, and the free engine is of a very simple nature. The latest addition for 1906 is a 4 h.p. twin-cylinder engine, the cylinders measuring 66 mm. by 72 mm. The engine is designed on identically the same lines as the 5 h.p. pattern. Single-cylinder motor bicycles, with free engine clutches fitted, were shown in 2½, 3, and 3½ h.p. sizes. The new carburetter used with Kerry engines is illustrated on another page of this issue, under Engines, Parts, and Fittings.
Two motor bicycles were shown by Hobday Bros: one a Bruneau, the engine having a water-cooled head; the other one had springs both back and front, and should be a comfortable machine to ride. White and Poppe engines and various patterns of driving belts were exhibited, also several patterns of acetylene gas lamps for motor cycles.
The International Electrical Engineering Co.
For the year 1906 the C.I.E. motor bicycles will have a diamond frame of very neat pattern, instead of the loop frame as used in the past. The engines of these machines are very nicely finished, and should stand a lot of wear. They are fitted with both accumulator and magneto ignition to customers requirements, and are made in 3 h.p. and 4 h.p. sizes. The valves are mechanically operated, and are situated in front of the engine, so that the valve pockets are kept as cool as it is possible. A band brake is fitted to each wheel, and the machines have low frames and 26in. wheels. A new pattern for next year is a 4 h.p. tricar with magneto ignition, driven by bevel gearing, Phelon and Moore two-speed gear, and chain drive. The engine is cooled by means of a Chapman double-blast fan. The forecar frame is sprung in front, and a comfortable wicker seat is provided for the passenger. An excellent idea is the splayed mudguards on the front wheel, which makes the tyre accessible in case of a puncture.
(The C.I.E. is mentioned under Bayard on this page: Belgian Marques)
The New Four-cylindered F.N.
It will be very easily understood that such a go-ahead firm as the Fabrique Nationale would not let the grass grow under their feet. It is not surprising, therefore, that their 1906 model has undergone many improvements. These improvements, which we describe below, will be carried out on any 1906 machines at an inclusive price of £5. In the first place the silencer has been re-designed, and is now, we understand, really worthy of the name. The carburetter has also been considerably improved, and is particularly regular in its action. The throttle lever, when pushed forward to open the throttle, also opens the air inlet at the same time. Baffle plates are fitted at the top of the crank case, which effectually protect the points of the plug from being fouled by the oil.
The flywheel and coupling to the transmission-shaft are now encased, and are efficiently protected from mud and wet. Two toolbags are supplied with the machine, which are fitted on either side of the tank. On both of these, compartments are fitted outside for the purpose of carrying oil and paraffin cans.
The manner in which the exhaust valves are lifted is convenient and ingenious. There is a long brake lever fitted in the usual position, which, when pressed down, raises the exhaust valves in a particularly easy manner. A small catch can be slipped into position, so that the valves shall remain permanently lifted.
Lubricating oil pumps are now carried in a slanting and forward position, so that they can be conveniently reached by the rider.
The direction in which it is intended for the oil to flow is regulated by turning the handle of the plunger. Two brakes are fitted to the back wheel, one being operated by the same lever as raises the exhaust valve. (This lever, by the way, does not bring the brake into action until the valves are completely lifted.) The other is a back-pedalling brake, which can be put in and out of action at will without the rider dismounting, by means of a small lever fitted underneath the saddle. This brake is of the internal expanding type. The 2¾ h.p. F.N. remains practically the same as it was last year.
More about FN Motorcycles of 1905
The 2½ h.p. Lloyd motor bicycle for 1906, although it does not possess any startling new features, is well made and well finished. All the control levers work in the same direction, and are fitted on the same side of the tank. The most interesting feature about Messrs. W. A. V. Lloyd's tricar; is the system of springing.
The front and rear seats and footboards are all completely insulated from the other portion of the frame by means of semi-elliptical springs. This appears to be the most simple way of overcoming the difficulty of springing a tricar. The motor power is a 6 h.p. engine, which drives by means of chains to a gear box having two speeds.
More information here: Lloyd, W.A.
There are several improvements in Millford passenger attachments for motor bicycles. Messrs. Mills and Fulford have introduced an extremely practical form of sidecar design by Mr. Douglas Leechman. It is attached to the bicycle in the ordinary manner, viz., by means of clips to the top of the j diagonal frame tube, to the saddle pin, and to the inner side step on the rear wheel. The frame of the sidecar is composed of straight tubes throughout, and evidently has been scientifically thought out. The chief feature of the attachment, of course, is the trailing wheel - castor wheel it has been called after its action, though it does not resemble a castor. This trailing wheel is carried much in the same way as the rear wheel on a bicycle, except that what in the latter case would be the saddle tube is a ball bearing head. Yet another passenger carrier brought out by the same firm is a rear carriage, the chief point about it being one of detachability. A ball joint fixed to the centre of the longitudinal tubes is clipped on to the down tube of the motor bicycle frame. By undoing one large nut the complete attachment may be removed in a remarkably short space of time.
More information: Mills and Fulford
In addition to having been considerably improved as regards appearance and finish, Minerva Motors, Ltd., have introduced several new and ingenious fittings upon their 1906 motor bicycles. Most conspicuous among these are a new form of lubricator of extremely simple design. This simply consists of a round box fitted with a transparent mica case, the interior of which revolves. In its normal and backward position the lever, which turns the inner case referred to above, opens a hole, which allows the oil to ran from the tank to the case. When moved forward, the hole is carried round opposite to the outlet from the lubricator of the engine, to which it runs by gravity. The Eisemann magneto fitted to the new model twin-cylinder as also shown for the first time fitted with a high-tension distributor, so that it can work with a V type two- cylinder motor.
Continued: Minerva (Great Britain)
A machine for the development of which we have been waiting a long time, our readers will no doubt remember is the Neofold tricycle. It will be recollected that in its original form the Neofold was an attachment, by means of which an ordinary pedal bicycle could be converted into a three-wheeler in a very short space of time, and it had also the advantage of partially collapsing so that it could be pushed through a narrow doorway. In the form which will interest motor cyclists, the Neofold is now fitted with a 2½ h.p. engine of British manufacture, driving through the rear wheel by means of a very long belt steadied by a jockey pulley. The engine itself is carried in a cradle forward of the steering pillar...
Continued: The Neofold Tricycle
A decided innovation in the construction of motor bicycles is to be found on the Midget bi-car made by Mr. T. Brown, Reading, the chief point about the machine being that it is constructed almost entirely without the employment of tubes, the frame and tank being constructed of sheet metal. The only tubing about the machine is the steering pillar, handle-bars, and front forks. All joints and the frame are riveted and solid. The machine is long and low, has no pedals, and is provided with footboards.
To these footboards legs are fitted, which can be put down or raised again at will, and can be kept in position by a small clip. The motor power is a 3 h.p. Fafnir engine of the latest type, transmission by belt, which is in the main part protected from mud and wet. On some of the models which were exhibited at the Stanley Show the Mabon free-engine clutch was fitted, which was controlled by means of a foot lever. On the opposite side to this pedal there is another foot lever which operates the back rim. brake. The advantages claimed in the particular design of the machine are increased capacity for petrol and the carrying of accumulators, etc. On one of these machines there is a tray fixed to the door of the accumulator compartment, which when it is open brings the accumulator out of the case, so that it can be easily inspected. The undoing of a single wire clip releases the batteries. Means of adjustment are provided for altering the tension of the belt on the same principle as the usual chain adjuster.
More on Brown's Midget Bicar
A Novel Frame.
A motor bicycle which makes its first appearance before the public is the Onaway, which differs completely from any other machine exhibited last week. Every tube of the frame is perfectly straight, and the frame itself is necessarily strong. The engine, which can be either a double or single cylinder, is carried in a cradle. There are no pedals, but large footboards are provided, and as these project considerably on either side of the machine, the latter can be leant over without falling on its side. Either Osborne's free engine pulley or the free engine pulley and four-speed gear may be fitted.
The machine is not supplied with a saddle, but has a comfortably sprung seat of large size. This brings the rider so near the ground that he can stand over the machine without difficulty. The handle-bar control is well carried out, since thumb slides are fitted inside the handle-bar itself. There are two petrol tanks, communicating with one another by means of pipes. Both footboards are sprung, and the rear pulley brake is operated by means of the heel. A rim brake is also fitted to the front wheel.
More on Onaway Motorcycles
The latest model Phoenix motor cycles have been dealt with very fully in our pages recently. The new tricar possesses several interesting features, the most important among these is the springing of the back wheel. The back wheel itself is carried on semi-elliptical springs, and any side movement is prevented by an inner hinged frame. The air-cooled engine is assisted by a fan which is driven by means of a belt off the engine shaft. The spindle of the fan is supported in point bearings...
Continued: 1905 Phoenix by Hooydonk
The 1906 Quadrant motor bicycle is an exceedingly handsome machine. The engine is a vertical one, having a bore and stroke of 81 by 88. This machine, though but recently introduced, has already begun to win distinction for itself. The carburetter which supplies the engine with gas is a large carefully adjusted Longuemare. On one of the machines shown it was fitted with magneto ignition. The magneto is carried on an aluminium bracket clipped on to the down tube, and is driven by a small sprocket carried on the half-time shaft, by means of a chain, to gear down, of course, in the proportion of 2 to 1. Other of the machines shown are fitted with accumulators and coil. These are carried in a separate compartment underneath the main tank. It is needless to say that the fittings, detail work, and finish are ail that can be desired. The silencer, conical in shape, is made of aluminium. The latest pattern spring forks are also fitted. The Quadrant Carette for next season remains much the same as it was before, with the exception that a ratchet brake is fitted, which is extremely useful when the driver has to stop on a hill. A new model for 1906 is a machine with a 3¼ h.p. vertical engine.
An Enterprising Firm.
Twin-cylinder engines are a speciality this year with the N.S.U. Co., whose machines have decidedly caught on in England. In arranging the two cylinders the firm have taken the precaution of setting one cylinder vertical and the other inclined forward at an angle of 60°; this ensures both being well cooled. So that both cylinders may be equally lubricated, the conveying pipe is carried at the back of the vertical cylinder, as there is a tendency for the inclined one to receive slightly more oil than the other.
In a previous description of this firm's machines we pointed out that the Eisemann magneto was employed throughout. On this pattern with the twin-cylinders it is a Simms-Bosch.
Both brakes are on the rear wheel; the one on the belt rim can be either applied by pack-pedalling through the clutch on the bottom bracket axle or an independent pedal and rod is fitted to apply this brake. The valve lifting mechanism for raising the exhaust valve is of a special description, and consists of a cam under each stem that revolves horizontally and lifts a bar which is fitted underneath the two exhaust valve tappets. As 24in. wheels are fitted to this machine it would necessitate a very small engine pulley if the belt rim was attached to the tyre rim by means of spokes. Therefore some special clips have been fitted which allow the belt rim to be almost equal in diameter to the rear tyres, and enables an ordinary sized engine pulley to be employed.
A neat little fitting outside the tank on each side is a tin case, enamelled the same colour as the tank, which is made to exactly fit an oil and paraffin tin, and is provided with clips for holding them firmly in position. The portion of the free engine clutch which always revolves whether the engine is driving or not is now provided with a groove for the fan belt. Separate tanks are employed for oil and petrol. This is to prevent any chance of leakage from one compartment to another without the rider being made aware of it. On the twin-cylinder pattern two gallons of petrol spirit are carried and half a gallon of oil. This may appear rather excessive now that petrol can be obtained almost everywhere, but it should be remembered that it is a twin-cylinder pattern that we are now describing, and the consumption is of course greater.
Sidecars are an introduction this year, these being made adjustable so that they will suit any bicycle bought from the firm. The design differs a little from English sidecars. The frame is composed of very large tubing, these tubes being provided with clamps, which enable the sidecars be moved so that the rider on the machine and the occupant of the sidecar can be brought exactly in line on any machine that is made by the company. We understand that numbers of these machines are being exported, and that the trade in motor cycles at the Neckarsulm factory is quite as good at this time of the year as it is in the summer, owing to the way the colonial trade has been developed, and that this is extending in all directions.
On the new Rexette we noticed the following innovations: The accumulators are carried in a neat little box on the footboard itself, whilst outside it the two-cylinder trembler coil is carried. A simple and neat form of two-way switch is placed on the outside of the former, so that the accumulators may be switched over while the engine is running. A good luggage- carrier, big enough to carry a large Gladstone bag, is fitted over the rear wheel, while the transmission chains are all large sizes. On the model shown at the Stanley the front seat is large enough for two people
Beyond the description we have already given of the 1906 Rex motor bicycles, there are one or two small details which have yet to be dealt with. The method of springing the saddle- pin is particularly neat. The pin itself is horizontal, and is hinged on a point about two inches forward of the saddle tube.
To the rear of this there is a rod sliding through a bracket brazed on to the saddle tube, and on each side where it passes through the lever there are coil springs. This gives a perfectly even and delightfully comfortable movement. This, in conjunction with the spring forks already referred to in our (pages, makes riding of the machine delightful in every respect. The rear brake, which we have previously illustrated, consists of a coiled strip of spring steel encircling a drum, hooked round the projecting leg at one end and attached to the operating rod at the other. When the lever is applied the coils of the springs tighten, and effectually check the speed of the machine. The control levers are also operated in a novel manner, small knobs fitted to the top of tank are pulled upwards. The old arrangement, which when pressed down agitates the trembler float, and when turned round regulates the air supply, is still retained.
One of the most important features on the whole machine is the case, which completely envelops the contact breaker. The contact breaker itself revolves inside the case, and is completely protected from mud and wet. The perfectly straight inlet pipes are another -excellent feature in the engine, from the centre of which a branch goes to the carburettor.. These pipes may be detached in a few seconds by undoing a nut which releases their natural spring round the collar cast on the cylinder. As in former models, the accumulators and trembler coil are carried in a case situated at the rear of the saddle tube.
The new Rex silencer is small in size, but we understand is perfectly efficient, both as regards silence and the absence of back pressure. In the twin-cylinder model the flow of petrol is controlled by means of a tap, but in the single-cylinder models, where the carburetter is encased, the needle valve is retained.
The Stanley Show. NOVEMBER 27th, 1905.
It will be remembered that in last season's Triumph motor bicycle the silencer was carried in an upward position, which was somewhat of a departure from standard practice. Now, however, it is placed between the magneto and the crank case, and is almost invisible. The clip which holds the engine sides together helps to form the bracket on which the magneto is carried. The rearmost end of this clip is held on to the crank case and fastened by nuts screwing on to the bolts which hold the crank case together. The silencer in question is fitted with a cut-out which can be put in or out of action by the rider's foot. The down tube, which in last year's model was divided into two portions, is now one tube. The rear bracket rod has also been considerably strengthened...
Continued: Triumph Motorcycles 1905-1906
An Interesting Machine.
In addition to the details given of the Roc engine, we may mention one or two improvements. The machines fitted with chain drive have now a free engine clutch, which is actuated by means of a worm and not by the long foot lever which has been in vogue on the Roc motor bicycles for the last two years. The lever in question is till retained, but when pressed forward serves to turn the worm and thus extract the internal portion of the clutch mechanism. The footrests fitted to the 1906 model are now suspended on four powerful coil springs. The saddle pin is of great length, and runs through the saddle tube at its lowest extremity attached to a cross member, which couples up the two side members of the bracket carrying footrest. Thus the feet and body of the rider are completely insulated from road shocks. Spring forks are also fitted, while the band brake on the rear wheel is particularly large and efficient. There is ample surface on which it may work, since it bites upon the outer member of the clutch. Beyond the fact that certain of the single-cylinder machines are fitted with the chain drive previously referred to, they have not been much altered in appearance since last year. The new tank, however, is somewhat of a novelty, since it is in two halves. In the case of one side being damaged two bolts may be undone and the damaged side may be removed.
More on Roc Motorcycles
The Rover for 1906 has been improved in very few details, the makers having found that last year's model gave exceedingly satisfactory results, especially the lightweight type. The carburetter now fitted is automatic in its action, and is exactly similar (except that it is on a smaller scale) to the carburetter which the Rover Company have used on their cars in all their competitions during the past season. As fitted to the motor bicycle, we understand it gives slightly increased power, and is very regular in its action. Needless to say, the finish and detail work is excellent in every respect.
The 3½ h.p. chain-driven Rover of the heavier weight remains practically the same, except that it has the carburetter referred to fitted to it.
NOVEMBER 27th, 1905. The Stanley Show.
The Vindec motor bicycles have proved reliable and strongly built machines by reason of their consistently good performances in open competition. Several highly finished models were on view at the Stanley, one having chain drive and a two-speed gear. As mentioned last week the chief alterations are lower frames and 26in. wheels, and with long handle-bars should give a more comfortable riding position. Yet another model of these excellent machines has made its appearance.
This is a V twin-cylinder motor bicycle. The angle at which the cylinders are set is about 45°, and each cylinder has a bore and stroke of 70 by 86, the power developed being about 5 h.p. All the well known Vindec points are to be found on this machine, such as Truffault forks...
Continued: Vindec Special (VS)
The 1906 Wolf tricar, made by the Wearwell Motor Carriage Company, has a twin cylinder water-cooled engine, outside flywheel, which is manufactured by the company. The drive is by chain and three-speed gear, the gear wheels always being in mesh. There is a large space between the dashboard and the front seat, the top of which is covered by the water tank.
The sides fitted on to this are made with ventilator holes, so that the whole strongly resembles a motor-car bonnet. The change speed lever is attached to the steering column. The band brake on the rear wheel is operated by a side lever...
Continued: Wolf 1905-1906 Models
Werner Control System.
All the single-cylinder Werner motor bicycles i remain much the same as they were last year. In the two-cylinder, however, the compression is released not by depressing the inlet valves as in former models, but by raising the exhaust in the usual orthodox manner. The throttle, which formerly was operated in conjunction with the inlet valve depressor, is now worked by a lever on the tank. The 1906 Werner machines can be had fitted with magneto ignition if desired. In this case the magneto is driven by chain off the camshaft. For the first time in their existence, Werner Fibres have placed a really up-to-date tricar on the market, chiefly, we believe, at the instigation of their London house. This tricar reached the show last week in a somewhat unfinished state, since there has not been time to exhibit it in its final stage.
However, Werner Motors, Ltd., wisely decided to show the machine as it was, just to give a general idea as to what form it was proposed it should take. The engine is a double cylinder, 65 by 76, water-cooled, placed under the rear seat (we are describing the machine as Messrs. Young and Day explained it will be in its finality at the Paris Salon). It is set transversely, and drives through a leather-faced friction clutch to the gear box. On the propeller shaft are two pinions running loosely, which are always in mesh with a large and small bevel wheel - one for the low, the other for the high gear. Inside this shaft is another, on which there are expanding clutches, which, when the change-speed lever is moved, expand and fit into recesses internally cut on the pinion, locking either the low or high speed gearing, as the case may be. On the outer bearing of the gear box a single chain runs direct to the rear wheel. The rear seat is made to swing back so that the engine and gear box may easily be inspected. The frame, which is of channel steel, is suspended in the front on semi-elliptical springs.
The steering is geared down, and is effected by a wheel.
Push forward pedals control the clutch and rear brake. The petrol is carried under the rear seat, while the water tank is situated behind the front seat, the radiators being placed low down in the front of the machine. Both seats appear to be particularly comfortable, the upholstery being quite above the average.
The Zenith bicar is a conspicuous-looking machine of novel construction. It is fitted with a 3h.p. air-cooled engine with free clutch. Comfortable footboards are provided, and by the special arrangement of the design of the frame it is claimed that vibration is eliminated.
26in. wheels are fitted, and a low saddle position, so that it is possible for the rider to touch the ground with his feet while sitting in the saddle. The handle-bars are brought well back, so that the most comfortable riding position is adopted by sitting upright. Other specialities are a tricar, driven by a 5 h.p. twin-cylinder air-cooled engine with two-speed gear
Source: The MotorCycle Magazine, 1905