Werners, Ltd., Rue de la Grande Armee, Paris, has perhaps the finest show of motor-bicycles in the exhibition. About 30 machines were staged, and these were equipped with all the 1903 improvements, the most notable being the carburetter adjustments for air and throttle control. The new contact breaker is fitted to most of the machines. In this the trembler blade is partly encased in an aluminium box with mica window, and the platinum contacts are easily adjustable from the outside. The machines are finished off in many different shades of enamel. Michelin tyres are fitted throughout. The "Auto-Velo" trophy is on show. This is a handsome bronze figure mounted on a plush-covered pedestal, and, along with the medals gained by the firm at various exhibitions, considerable interest is created. The touring machine is priced at 975 francs (about £39).
Werner Motors, Ltd.
Mr. Arnott informs us that their new models for 1904 will introduce a dozen distinct improvements, ranging from a free engine at will to less important refinements, which, though small in themselves, tend to increased efficiency and convenience. It is this striving after perfection that has done so much to establish on a firm basis in so short a time what is practically a new industry. From quite a small beginning the Werner works have become the largest in the world that are employed exclusively in the production of motor bicycles. The frame has been extended and the front forks have been stayed on the girder principle. A new back wheel brake will be shown, and the. silencer will be larger and constructed to give maximum efficiency with the higher powered engines. The engines will be of 2½ and 3¼ h.p., fitted with larger flywheels, and the carburetter will be a new one, quite automatic in action and giving remarkable results. As soon as the necessary protection has been completed we hope to illustrate in detail the 1904 Werner specialises, which cannot fail to attract the attention of all enthusiastic motor cyclists.
The Motor Cycle, November 18th, 1903. Page 799
Stanley Show 1903
Werner Motors, Ltd, will exhibit their new models for 1904 at the Stanley Show, Stand No. 121. Their exhibit is always looked forward to with special interest, as having been engaged in the trade from its very commencement, they are responsible for the introduction of many of the leading features now adopted in the generality of motorcycles. Originality has always been a remarkable feature in their productions, and this year 12 distinct improvements will be introduced, several of which are of a very important character.
Two types of machines will be marketed of 2.5 and 3.25 h.p. respectively. The engines are of an entirely new design, and are fitted with large fly-wheels and a new style of carburetter which is automatic in action and gives remarkable results. An entirely new device for providing a free engine will be a conspicuous feature of these machines, and a special arrangement of the engine pulley will render the possibility of belt slip very remote. The frame of the machine is longer than in last year's patterns, and the front forks are stayed on the girder principle. Special attention has been paid to the brakes and a new system for the one on the back wheel will be shown. The new silencer is of larger dimensions and of different internal construction in order to give maximum efficiency with the higher powered engines.
As soon as protection is completed, we shall illustrate and describe in detail the 1904 Werner specialities, which indicate that no effort is being spared to keep this well-known make in the prominent position it has so long occupied. Visitors to the Agricultural Hall will find plenty to interest them at the stand where Werner motor-bicycles will be exhibited.
The Motor magazine, 18th November 1903
Stanley Show 1903
This firm, who were the pioneers of the motor bicycle, both on the Continent and in this country, have many notable improvements for next season. The engine is fixed in the usual vertical position, which practically originated with Werner Brothers. The new engines are 2½ and 3½ h.p., with a bore and stroke respectively of 70 mm. by 76 mm. and 76 mm. by 80 mm. For the first time a mechanically-operated inlet valve has been adopted, both valves being placed forward to meet the current of cool air, and in addition the valve chamber is cast with a division between the cylinder and the valve chamber itself. The timings shaft is fitted across the front of the crank chamber parallel to the crankshaft. The transmission is by means of a V belt, which has been adopted on account of a free engine pulley, which operates somewhat as follows : The outer half of the V pulley is free to slide laterally, and when opened out to its fullest extent the narrower portion of the V belt drops on to a roller at the bottom of the groove. The same action causes a special form of retarding gear to come into action, by means of which just half the number of sparks appear at the plug points, and, in consequence, the speed of the engine is immediately reduced. This acts in the form of a governor. The carburetter is for the first time fitted in a special compartment in the reservoir next to the battery case. By this means no dust can be drawn in to choke up the nipple, and it is also protected from the rush of cold air in winter.
Two levers are provided — one on each side regulating the air and gas supply. Duplex forks will be fitted as a standard pattern, and also 2¼in. Dunlop motor cycle tyres. The weight of the new 2½ h.p. pattern is 95 lbs. The exhibit includes the 3¼ h.p. Paris-Vienna pattern and the Werner forecarriage, which is used in conjunction with this machine. (Stand 121.)
The Motor Cycle, November 25th, 1903. p831
Stanley Show 1903
If you have a query or information about about the Werner Brothers please contact us