Waverley motorcycles were designed by Harry Cox and produced from 1921 to 1923, in Lichfield Road, Birmingham.
1921 The company listed a trio of 269cc two-strokes with Peco engines, and with the choice of direct-belt drive or an Albion two-speed gearbox and chain-cum-belt drive, with push- or kick-starting. The engines were mounted high in the frame to suit the needs of overseas markets. Also listed was a model with a 348cc sv Blackburne engine and Burman two-speed gearbox.
1922 There was one two-stroke, the 348cc two-stroke model and one of 499cc with three speeds.
1923 Those three models ran on for the year.
The Waverley is another name new to the majority of our readers. It adorns the ranks of a range of motor cycles made by Waverley Motors, of 145, Lichfield Road, Aston, Birmingham. Three models are produced, which are fitted with a Peco two-stroke engine of 269 c.c. capacity. These are single geared, two-speed, and two-speed with clutch and kickstarter, sold at £53, £60, and £65 respectively. The weights vary from 150 lb. to 165 lb. Another model has a 2¾ h.p. Blackburne engine and the equipment usually supplied with such machines. With two-speed gear, clutch, and kick-starter, it sells at £95.
It will be noted that the Peco-engined models have the engine placed high in the frame, and for this reason may be found suitable for certain Overseas markets.
The Motor Cycle April 11th, 1921. Page 430. NB. The original article uses "Pero" rather than "Peco" several times.
Sources: Graces Guide, Tragatsch p295.
If you have further information or a query related to this page, please contact us