emu
British Motorcycles

Albion Motor Co

Albion logo

The Albion Motor Company of Scotstoun, Glasgow was a manufacturer of cars and commercial vehicles but were best known in the motorcycling world for their gearboxes.
  • 1899 / 1901 The company was formed by T. Blackwood-Murray and N. O. Fulton (late of Arrol-Johnston) at Bathgate.

    1902 Became a private company.

    1904 The company moved to a large factory at Scotstoun.

    1907 J. F. Henderson is Joint MD.

    1914 Became a public company.

    Name changed.

    1944 Producing the four-cylinder (68 bhp) and six-cylinder (102 bhp) diesel engines.

    1951 Acquired by Leyland.

    1972 The Albion name was discontinued.

Albion gearboxes were fitted to Aston, Calthorpe, Carfield, Cotton, Coventry-Eagle, Dot, Elfson, Greeves, Hailstones and Ravenhall, Haden Precision, Lily, McKenzie, Metro-Tyler, Priest-JAP, Priory, Radco, Rex-Acme, Ruby, Saxelby, Spur, Sun, Talbot, Triplette, Triumph Gloria, Weatherell, Whitworth and many other British motorcycles.

European marques utilising Albion included Monet-Goyon of France; Ancora, Bianchi and MM of Italy; Rex of Sweden and many others.

Source: Graces Guide



If you have further information or a query related to this page, please contact us

Phil Aynsley Photography
Phil Aynsley Photography
Thousands of quality photographs featuring Ducati, Moto Guzzi, MV Agusta and numerous other marques. An index to many of the amazing galleries on his site is available here:
Phil Aynsley's Motorcycle Photos