See also Gamages.
A. W. Gamage of Holborn, London, sold motorcycles, produced from 1903 to 1923, from their famous store.
1903 Having already been in the market by selling machines built by various factories, including Omega and Radco, the store had a model with their own name on it, believed to have originated from Red Star in Belgium. It was fitted with a 2 h.p. engine mounted vertically towards the rear, with the bicycle pedals ahead of the crankcase, which had the seat tube bolted to the top of it. It also had belt drive and rigid forks. That year saw several competition successes. (More below)
The firm then moved on to selling German machines and a 2.5 h.p. Arno model with their own transfer.
1913 Only one model was listed. This had a 2.75 h.p. engine with single-speed or three-speed hub, belt drive and Druid forks.
1914-1915 For those two years the single model was sold from stock.
A. W. Gamage, LTD., Holborn, London, E. C.
1919 Post World War I only two-strokes were listed, fitted with a 269cc engine, Burman two-speed gearbox, chain-cum belt transmission and push-start.
1921 The push-start model was joined by a kick-start version and a single-speed belt-drive model.
1922 Those three models were enlarged to 348cc and joined by a four-stroke of the same capacity.
1923 The kick-start machine now had three speeds and all-chain drive. It was to be the firm's last year of motorcycles as they turned their attention to their many other products.
Report from the 1902 Stanley Show
Stand 73. A. W. Gamage and Co., Ltd., Holborn, are showing four Gamage motor-bicycles. The crank case of the engine constitutes part of the frame, to which it is bolted up. The engine is 2.125 horse-power, and has a very long stroke, namely, 80 mm. to a 68 mm. bore. The compression tap is opened by a twisting handle on left handlebar, whilst the one on the right hand advances and retards the ignition.
The carburetter is of the spray type, and requires no attention, consequently all levers are avoided. The drive is by a heavy three-ply belt, the driven pulley being fastened firmly to the rim. Pump lubrication is provided, whilst petrol capacity is a little less than a gallon. The machine sells at £40.
Of motorcycle and car accessories and spare parts, Messrs. Gamage have made a big feature during the past year, and from the wide and varied range which we saw on view on the stand in the Gallery we should imagine that no motor-cyclist need go farther than the Holborn emporium for any spare part or fitting that he might require. In clothing and outfitting, specially suited to the pastime, there is a wide selection, and it may be said with truth that the capacity of all pockets can be suited by Messrs. Gamage.
Motor Cycling, 26th November 1902
Cars branded Gamage were offered from 1903 to 1905 powered by twin-cylinder De Dion Bouton, Aster and Renault engines, which are believed to have been built in France by Lacoste et Battmann.
In the years 1914-1915 Gamage marketed a cyclecar powered by a 1.5 litre Chapuis-Dornier 4-cylinder engine. Starting was by means of a cable from the cockpit, or by conventional starter crank. In 1915 it was priced at 195 guineas Postwar they sold Slaby-Behringer electric cyclecars made in Germany.
If you have further information or a query related to this page, please contact us