Omega motorcycles were produced from 1914 to 1927, by the works of W. J. Green and Co, at Croft Road, Coventry.
1914 The first machine appeared as a 3hp 344cc two-stroke model, with a two-speed Toroga gearbox, chain-cum-belt drive, chain-driven U.H. magneto, petroil lubrication and Druid
Omega 1914 Models
1921 After a move to larger premises allowed an increase in production, a 545cc sv Blackburne was added.
1922 An all-weather machine was offered, as a 348cc two-stroke with widely
splayed duplex tube frame and new spring forks of low unsprung weight.
The engine of that model was also available in a machine with a more conventional outline, as were other lightweights of various engine capacity of sv V-twin JAP engines, and single speed or Sturmey-Archer geared drives.
Omega 1922 Models
1923 The only JAP to be continued was the 293cc model, along with the 348cc two-stroke - both in various forms. These were then joined by a 170cc two-stroke miniature with forward-sloping engine in a loop frame and with two speeds.
1924 The range expanded with the addition of Blackburne and Barr and Stroud sports models, plus a Ladies' Model variant of the 170cc miniature.
1925 All except a 248cc Blackburne went forward into that year, and sv and ohv JAP models were added.
1926 The preferred engine had become the JAP, and the 348cc two-stroke and Barr and Stroud models were dropped. A natty little three-wheeler was introduced, with two front and one rear wheel, and was available in either sports or family versions. It was heavily promoted and may well have put a financial strain on the company.
1927 A 677cc sv V-twin was re-introduced. All the JAP-engined singles, the 170cc miniature and the four-strokes ran on. The latter were quite chunky in appearance, in short wheel- base frames with internal expanding-drum brakes. It was the firm's final year, then they totally withdrew from the market.
If you have further information or a query related to this page, please contact us